Do you mix anything into your chick's water?

Fuhoo

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2023
Middle East
Have you had success mixing other stuff into your chick's water?

The farm I bought all my chicks from uses an electrolyte powder (forgot to ask what type when I went).
I've been putting a teaspoon of genuine ACV into ~1L, I've also seen people mixing honey into the water for some extra sugar.

Curious as to what you guys have had success with and use

Corid since I don't use medicated feed (preferring higher protein options).

Probios, a probiotic with multiple species, and viability tested.

I don't like putting things in the water that can affect it in unknown ways:

Like with vinegar, people should be using a PH monitor after adding it, because the result will be based on the starting PH of the water, which is different everywhere. Excessively acidic water could be unpalatable, causing chicks to drink less water, or harmful to their digestive tract.

Sugar (and honey) is basically making a petri dish for bad bacteria. I use sugar water for short intervals when chicks are stressed (like after shipping, or on extremely hot days, or during illness).

Electrolytes are another short interval thing. Chicks who are eating are already getting balanced salt and minerals from their feed. Now imagine your food was lightly salted but all you had to drink was Gatorade. Not only does that thirsty feeling become unpleasant, its hard on their kidneys to keep flushing it out.
Add to that, most people don't use a gallon container to mix the little packets in, so they guess how much to sprinkle and overdo it.

Back
Top Bottom