Do you prefer barred rocks or dominiques?

Texashatching14

Chirping
May 27, 2015
I'm looking at getting a couple new hens and was interested in these birds. Can someone tell me the differences between the two? Not looks wise, but personality wise? Our chickens are pets first and foremost so we're looking for friendly and less flighty. Thank you!

I have hatched out both this year and loved both but the Dominiques had the ability to jump from the floor of the brooder to the top rim, about 18 inches, at 3 weeks. It took the Barred Rocks 4 weeks to get there. I don't know what that means for longevity or how calm/sweet they will be when they get older. I hatched the Barred rocks for a friend of mine and the Dominiques will be going to a different friend that I work with. I guess time will tell...By the way, here is a pic of one of the Dominiques at a couple of days old;
MaleDom.jpg

I have Barred Rocks hens and a Dominique rooster. The Barred Rock hens are very nice birds to people but can be aggressive to other birds. My rooster is flighty and flies in your face alot.

I have 5 Barred Rock hens (13 months)and 4 like to be held.
They have their own coop and pen, so I don't know how they will be with other Breeds, but together they are fine. They are a large duel purpose chicken, so could use that and toss their weight around. Probably best kept with other large Breeds.
20190702_193413.jpg
GC

Back
Top Bottom