Do you rehome chickens from battery farms in USA?

chrissieg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Glorious Devon, England
Just asking, because nearly all my girls have been rescues from the local 'free range' farm (not as we know it). It's an excellent way to start off, the birds don't need a lot of care and provide almost 'instant' eggs.
Whatever happens to them their lives have been extended - mine are free rangeing in an orchard full of bees and blossom at the moment, if the fox does take them at least they've had a wonderful time and some other poor creature has been spared.

Aha! My neighbour works for them picking up the eggs. I get to know when they are due to be 'recycled' although I have had emergency chickens when I've been left with just one! I give £1 each for them which is more than they get for their 'scrap' value.
There is a charity nearby me that rehomes battery chickens when their time is up - www.thehenshouse.co.uk I don't know if they would be able to give you any contacts in your area.

I think it is a great idea. We have heard alot about the henhouse and their work in giving battery hens a chance at a better life.
I would adopt egg farm hens in a heartbeat.

I believe in the US battery egg hens are sold to companies that make soup base and things like chicken noodle soup. I feel that a lot of the birds come out of the system so battered, demoralized, and diseased/medicated, that it would not be very good to put them into a home flock due to the biosecurity risk involved. I know rescued hens do exist though as I think some people here on the boards have some?

Back
Top Bottom