Do you think any of these will lay anytime soon?

Their combs get really red and fuller just before they lay. Really good way to tell is if they 'assume the position' when you stand over them..this means they are ready to begin breeding but not all girls will do it. My last three hens refuse to be subs lol.
So interesting! I have a EE that just started laying today, and in the last few days I noticed how vibrant red her comb was compared to before. Makes sense now!

I would like you to know that feeding daily treats like that can quickly become a major problem.

When you offer either one of those two things the birds are much more likely to eat those things first and fill up on it instead of the balanced feed.
Not getting a balanced diet and eating too much treats can lead to a bird becoming overweight before you ever notice.
Overweightness alone will cause irreversible damage to their lady parts.
I wish I knew what is the best practice. I’ve seen people feed kitchen scraps, scrambled or boiled eggs, herbs, watermelon or ice with blueberries on a hot day & whole corn in winter. It’s all so confusing. Is it better to just stick to the packaged feed only? I don’t want to hurt them with a bad diet. I even went as far as buying the expensive feed with no corn or soy (with enough protein) Should I back away from any forms of scratch & worms? Hey, it would be less complicated for sure. It seems complicated with all the information & various options out there. Thanks for your tips! I appreciate it.

I wish I knew what is the best practice. I’ve seen people feed kitchen scraps, scrambled or boiled eggs, herbs, watermelon or ice with blueberries on a hot day & whole corn in winter. It’s all so confusing. Is it better to just stick to the packaged feed only? I don’t want to hurt them with a bad diet. I even went as far as buying the expensive feed with no corn or soy (with enough protein) Should I back away from any forms of scratch & worms? Hey, it would be less complicated for sure. It seems complicated with all the information & various options out there. Thanks for your tips! I appreciate it.
Its best not to give them many treats, treats shouldn't make 10% or more of their diet.

Some people really fret about what they feed them. I have never found it made a huge difference. I don't worry about it, but you might be different. If birds are healthy and active, and laying, they are doing fine.
Personally I think their eggs taste better, when they get out and scratch - a few bugs, a bit of grain and the table scraps.

Mrs K

Yes, stop all scratch and worms.
@jennaveewhit I am looking back through your posts to see if what you feed was a problem with your current death. If you had been feeding these things often then yes, please stop.

Back
Top Bottom