Do you think this is a Rosecomb pullet?

The photo is very hard to see because of the fuzziness.

An undeveloped rose comb in my experience, looks like an outside ridge resembling a "wishbone" or a "horseshoe" and is oriented so that the luck runs down the beak. There is a hollow in the center.

A pea comb...which is what I am leaning to with the fuzz..will have typically a broad base at the nostrils then a row of peas going up the beakline, like a farmer planted a row. Most often 3 clear rows means roo, and one main row means pullet...but not always...sometimes pullets can have 3 rows too.

With the fuzzy muff, and modified pea comb, I am thinking you've got an Easter Egger.

At age stated, pullet.

Hopefully she will lay colorful eggs for you. If that is truly a pea comb, there is about a 90%(?) chance of her also laying blue/green eggs as the blue gene lays close to the pea comb gene on the DNA strand for inheritance.

Post a better close up photo of that comb, and her face, and we can know more for certain.

Lady of McCamley

The photo is very hard to see because of the fuzziness.

An undeveloped rose comb in my experience, looks like an outside ridge resembling a "wishbone" or a "horseshoe" and is oriented so that the luck runs down the beak. There is a hollow in the center.

A pea comb...which is what I am leaning to with the fuzz..will have typically a broad base at the nostrils then a row of peas going up the beakline, like a farmer planted a row. Most often 3 clear rows means roo, and one main row means pullet...but not always...sometimes pullets can have 3 rows too.

With the fuzzy muff, and modified pea comb, I am thinking you've got an Easter Egger.

At age stated, pullet.

Hopefully she will lay colorful eggs for you. If that is truly a pea comb, there is about a 90%(?) chance of her also laying blue/green eggs as the blue gene lays close to the pea comb gene on the DNA strand for inheritance.

Post a better close up photo of that comb, and her face, and we can know more for certain.

Lady of McCamley

I keep trying to get a better picture of her comb but its not working... Maybe I will have better luck with the light tomorrow. What do you think about a black d'uccle?? She came with a silver laced sebright. and a ..... quail d'anver... I think?

That picture is really difficult to see since it's so fuzzy. With a pea comb on a pullet it would be a single vertical row of peas and for a roo it would be 3 rows of vertical peas. Here's a link that may help. This more applies to comb differences in roo's and pullets. Not sure if this is what you were looking for. http://www.homegrowngourmet.org/how...crow-gender-identification-in-young-chickens/

I book marked that site. It is very helpful! Thank you. I am going to try to get a better picture tomorrow. Light this morning was not in my favor.

It is already to big to be any kind of bantam, at 7-8 weeks that is the size you would expect for large fowl. Also it is blue in colour

I book marked that site. It is very helpful! Thank you. I am going to try to get a better picture tomorrow. Light this morning was not in my favor.
I would add that while the article is interesting and makes some good points, it does have some errors as it is presenting barnyard mixes (hybrids of hybrids...or mutts) rather than 1st generation hybrids. The rules she states are true for 1st generation EE's, but don't hold as true for 2nd generation mixes, especially offspring of parents that are mixes of mixes.

Anytime you have a 2nd generation hybrid (hybrid of a hybrid) the gene pool expands further and a lot of different things can happen. From my personal experience, an EE rooster over a barnyard hen will produce a lot of different varieties, and I find my "mutts" do not follow any particular pattern at times other than they do mature faster and can fool you as to gender for a time. You have to look at overall growth, color, but in particular comb color and size, which I find seems to be the most telling and reliable. I find you cannot even compare 2 sibling mutts to each other as you could with pure breeds or the 1st generation hybrid as so much variation can happen...with mutts the best thing is to watch and wait.

Also, the article is in error as to Black Sex Links. While I think her barred examples are likely pullets, her confidence of them being so because they came from a Barred/EE roo and therefore sex-linked because of the dominant barring in the roo is in error. The MOTHER must be barred while the father MUST be non-barred for the black sex-linking to work.

Just a BTW...some overall good photos and descriptions of barnyard mixes, but not overall accurate to all points.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I would add that while the article is interesting and makes some good points, it does have some errors as it is presenting barnyard mixes (hybrids of hybrids...or mutts) rather than 1st generation hybrids. The rules she states are true for 1st generation EE's, but don't hold as true for 2nd generation mixes, especially offspring of parents that are mixes of mixes.

Anytime you have a 2nd generation hybrid (hybrid of a hybrid) the gene pool expands further and a lot of different things can happen. From my personal experience, an EE rooster over a barnyard hen will produce a lot of different varieties, and I find my "mutts" do not follow any particular pattern at times other than they do mature faster and can fool you as to gender for a time. You have to look at overall growth, color, but in particular comb color and size, which I find seems to be the most telling and reliable. I find you cannot even compare 2 sibling mutts to each other as you could with pure breeds or the 1st generation hybrid as so much variation can happen...with mutts the best thing is to watch and wait.

Also, the article is in error as to Black Sex Links. While I think her barred examples are likely pullets, her confidence of them being so because they came from a Barred/EE roo and therefore sex-linked because of the dominant barring in the roo is in error. The MOTHER must be barred while the father MUST be non-barred for the black sex-linking to work.

Just a BTW...some overall good photos and descriptions of barnyard mixes, but not overall accurate to all points.

Lady of McCamley

Agreed. It's an easy mistake to make to think that all sex-linked traits come from the male because that would be true in mammals, but is not true for birds. Heck, I made that mistake (quite vocally and publicly
hide.gif
) when I first joined BYC. All of my genetics classes failed me that day! In chickens, sex-linked traits come from the female.

Based on the photo you have, fuzzy as it is, I still think you have a pea-combed bird that is an EE pullet.

I keep trying to get a better picture of her comb but its not working... Maybe I will have better luck with the light tomorrow. What do you think about a black d'uccle?? She came with a silver laced sebright. and a ..... quail d'anver... I think?
While the d'Uccle would give the opportunity of a beard/muff, it also should bring some feet feathering...d'Uccles are HEAVILY booted (leg feathered). I should think a mix close enough to have the beard/muff showing would also surely show some foot feathering too...correct me if I am wrong @WalkingOnSunshine .

Therefore I do not think this bird is a d-Uccle for that reason and because the d-uccle is also single combed. This bird looks to be modified pea comb, possibly rose comb by your estimation. (Photo to verify).

You could also give a picture of her standing on her own, not being held, full body profile. I can't tell if her wings are longer because she is simply holding them out for balance (which I think she is) or if she has the longer wing of a game type. She as photographed does not appear to have a game type body.

I too am still thinking Easter Egger pullet.

Lady of McCamley

While the d'Uccle would give the opportunity of a beard/muff, it also should bring some feet feathering...d'Uccles are HEAVILY booted (leg feathered). I should think a mix close enough to have the beard/muff showing would also surely show some foot feathering too...correct me if I am wrong @WalkingOnSunshine .

Therefore I do not think this bird is a d-Uccle for that reason and because the d-uccle is also single combed. This bird looks to be modified pea comb, possibly rose comb by your estimation. (Photo to verify).

You could also give a picture of her standing on her own, not being held, full body profile. I can't tell if her wings are longer because she is simply holding them out for balance (which I think she is) or if she has the longer wing of a game type. She as photographed does not appear to have a game type body.

I too am still thinking Easter Egger pullet.

Lady of McCamley

You're right, feathered feet are dominant. She'd have at least some vestige of feathering on her feet were she a D'Uccle. Add to that the fact that black d'Uccles have a very distinctive stance and are, well, BLACK... I doubt she's one.

Also, I'm not sure where you got her, but hatchery birds usually at least mostly follow SOP. You wouldn't get a mixed breed bird from a hatchery. The hatchery would not consider an EE a mix, as they sell them as Ameraucanas or Araucanas or Americananas or Ameraucana/Araucanas, not mixes.

I'll wait until I see a nice, clear comb photo before I pass final judgement. OP, does your camera have a "macro" setting? That's usually what you need to get clear close-ups with a digital camera. On my camera it looks like a flower. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom