Do you use bedding in your run or leave it bare dirt?

The deeper the litter the better. I am not sure that there is a wrong way to do deep litter. As long as your run is deeply bedded, is able to drain if the weather is wet, and does not stink, you are doing it right. Any time your deep litter has a bad smell, just add more dry litter and let the chickens stir it up.

Yeah, that's how I thought it was supposed to be done but got thrown off by the comment above mine and more added this bit (the bold) to avoid stepping on toes haha i don't like to upset people so tend to try to agree even I'm countering it. Even been told I don't have my own opinions.
1f602.png

But don't a lot of people let it compost inside the run? Not saying there's no clean up and I'm sure there's a lot of people doing it wrong so I am trying to understand it more cause to me it does seem kinda gross to just completely leave poo in it but from what I've seen recently it seems like people do do that and let the chickens do all the work of turning it and and it composts fine/turns into a forest floor/mini environment if it's left alone long enough? Or not?

There are so many posts about using the "deep litter method" inside of the coop, that it gives the impression that you do not have to clean up after your birds. PLEASE don't believe this. During the winter I do not bed my chicken's run, which is 12 adult birds (5 roosters are 6mo's) in a 12 x 30ft run with the coop inside of it. Sometimes I will put down straw so that there is an outside area without mud.
You have to clean up after your birds. The winter can be easier because the poo freezes and you can scoop it up with a gloved hand, small shovel or a cat litter scoop. I use a painter's bucket that sprung a leak and fill it, then empty it into the wheelbarrow with the rest of my soiled horse stall bedding.
Outside in the summer I use a bag mower and empty those into the run. The birds love it, BUT, every few weeks I rake and roll it and remove the leftovers and the poo, then compost. You need to keep any wood from being burned from the ammonia. That is why we paint the insides of the coop and lay down a piece of vinyl for the floor, to prevent early wood rot. It helps to have a small garden wheelbarrow that you can push through the door to the run.
There is no outside bedding that prevents cleanup.
If you have the right mix of of materials in your litter, you do not have to pick up the poops.

My deep litter doesn't hot compost, mine is a slow cold compost that breaks down and the bugs and worms underneath tend to it. It doesn't smell and I don't remove any poop. Occasionally I remove some of the compost for the garden.

My deep litter doesn't hot compost, mine is a slow cold compost that breaks down and the bugs and worms underneath tend to it. It doesn't smell and I don't remove any poop. Occasionally I remove some of the compost for the garden.
No, deep litter is not inherently a hot/fast compost, but a cold/slow compost.
I hot compost my coop bedding once a year, put it in a bin with lots of water and it gets up to 160F.

That's what I didn't understand, seems like if you're trying to get it to compost it kinda defeats the purpose to take out the nitrogen aha

Agreed! I have kept chickens in my run for 2 years, and it is clean enough to sit in. (If I wanted to) It composts perfectly, leaving rich soil behind.
-Banti

Last edited:
Exactly!
Tho I don't try to compost inside the coop cause I like it dry(which also keeps down odor), in the run there is definitely composting going on.

This makes much more sense. And yeah, I'm nervous to try it inside the coop especially since mine isn't very big and will be raised but I will be trying it in the run.

No, deep litter is not inherently a hot/fast compost, but a cold/slow compost.
I hot compost my coop bedding once a year, put it in a bin with lots of water and it gets up to 160F.

If you don't mind me asking and excuse the stupidity here but what is the difference between hot and cold composting and how do you get hot composting? Also does anybody add worms or raise them in a bin/is it necessary or are there enough natural worms that come up?

Yes but all those bugs are food for the chickens and less fed they will then eat

Very true.

Agreed! I have kept chickens in my run for 2 years, and it is clean enough to sit in. (If I wanted to) It composts perfectly, leaving rich soil behind.
-Banti

Wow that sounds awesome!!! I'd love to be able to sit down lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom