Do you wash your laid eggs?

SteveBaz

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Pacific North West
I am a guy and I will eat almost anything but my wife said she cant stand it when "I just bring in those dirty eggs and crack, them and make breakfast?" I do not get that? Then she has a fit when I put them right into the egg holder in the frig either???? Like the shelf is going to catch the egg flu or sumpin, huh?? Come on!

So do you wash yours? Do you not wash yours and Why either way?

Keep your marital bliss. Wash them. All commercial, store eggs are washed. Just be sure to use very warm water.

Keeping the "bloom" blah, blah, blah isn't the end of the world. If it what pleases her, that's all that is important. If you're like our place, all our eggs get eaten/sold within a week so the whole thing is grossly overblown in importance.

Last edited:
Most people in Europe keep thier eggs on the table, not in the frige. They say if you wash them, you taking protaction film off so bacteria can get in the egg easy, and make egg go bad faster if you do not wash hem.But if you want you can wash it before you eat. I be back. I got a link for you.

Yep - I wash the eggs - every single one. The egg is "clean" when it comes out of the chicken - but the chickens scratch around in the nest boxes with their feet - feet that have walked on some pretty nasty things. They also sit on the eggs after they're laid. Other chickens walk into the nest and lay eggs next to other eggs. I don't want those germs in the refrigerator with my other food. But that's just me.

You'll have people here who will practically ridicule anyone who washes eggs. They'll get quite indignant about how you'll wash off the bloom if you wash the eggs. And they are right that you likely won't get sick from not washing your eggs. However, if your wife feels that strongly about it - it would probably be worth it to you to wash them. It's worth it to me - and no bloom argument will ever convince me otherwise. There's no right or wrong in this discussion. It's what you feel is right for you.

You should wash the eggs. that is nasty. eggs can have chicken poop on them and chicken poop can have salmonella. look up what salmonella does to you. I GUARANTEE YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND.

Why is this even a question?

Wash the eggs with warm water before you put the eggs in the refrigerator. The eggs will be eaten within a couple of weeks, so there is no worry about the eggs spoiling.

There could be an argument for not washing eggs if the eggs are not refrigerated. In that case, wash the eggs before you crack them open to cook.

I am a guy and I will eat almost anything but my wife said she cant stand it when "I just bring in those dirty eggs and crack, them and make breakfast?" I do not get that? Then she has a fit when I put them right into the egg holder in the frig either???? Like the shelf is going to catch the egg flu or sumpin, huh?? Come on!

So do you wash yours? Do you not wash yours and Why either way?

Hey Steve, I am a girl and I don't wash my eggs unless they are very dirty, I too love fresh eggs.

Last edited:
Hey Steve, I am a girl and I don't wash my eggs unless they are very dirty, I too love fresh eggs.

Thata Girl Im with you. I can wash for mamma no biggie but she makes such a stink about it. I really wanted to see who done it if you know what I mean. I should have taken a poll but I'm sure its been done. No fight starting her just having some fun... :)

Back
Top Bottom