Do your chickens pay for their keep?

I've had my chickens about 3 years and it has been quite an experience No I don't break even either on cost however I am building a base of regular customers by selling my eggs Eventually I will sell pullets Free ranging might help with feed expenses but I would worry a lot about coyotes and other critters getting the girls Overall I love having the chickens, a welcome addition of things to do when you retire

Yes. We get more than a dozen eggs per day and sell them to various friends at $3.50/dozen. This easily pays for their feed. As long as you have a steady customer base then your chickens will pay their way. Plenty of fresh eggs for us as well. Ours also free range!

We also have had ours only a year. No, they have not yet paid their way. I get 3$ a dozen for the fertile organic eggs. Mostly, to people who think "rainbow eggs" are a novelty. I also give a dozen or two to my parents each month.

Our property came with a coop and all the supplies to have birds other than food and chickens, but when you consider you feed them for 5 months before they even start to lay (if you start from chicks). They already are in debt. We have 9 hens and through winter get 6 eggs a day. They are breaking even on their feed bill now that I have extras to sell, but they still have a debt from before.
gig.gif

My chickens are definitely paying for themselves. I've been raising chickens since Feb. 19, 2012 (my first hatch). I have 42 chickens now; 4 roos, 8 chicks and 30 hens. At their low this winter they were laying 6-10 eggs a day. Now they are back up to 18-20 a day. I sell my eggs to some regular customers plus occasional "stop bys". I also take my eggs to the local farm market when I have an excess. I average about 30 dozen a month at $3/dozen.
ya.gif
Which more than pays for their feed.

I recently bartered a pick-up load of wood for 6 chicks and eggs until it evens out. I calculated the amount/cost of the wood and it's about $140 worth!
celebrate.gif
It's wet right now but will be good for next season!

They also save me money in mental health counseling. When I feel stressed or need a laugh I just go sit with the chickens and watch them hang out!
lau.gif

I have a small backyard flock with only 4 hens (2 of which are not yet laying age and the other 2 just turned one year old). I had to buy their house and build a fenced area for them and buy supplies like feeders and waters. I allow them to free range most days but still go through about a bag of feed a month. I probably spent $400 before getting my first egg. Now that the first round of girls are laying, I never have to buy eggs but I do not have enough to sell. Organic pasture raised eggs sell for $4 - 5 dollars a dozen at local stores. I used to buy a dozen eggs a week, so I save $16 - 20 a month which about pays the feed bill but none of the start up costs. That being said, I don't think chickens need to be cost effective to be worth-while. They are entertaining and the quality of eggs is better than even the priciest store bought brand.

Our hens do indeed pay for themselves--including egg cartons, initial bird purchase price, bedding, feed, dewormer, electricity, and water. But they don't unless we sell a minimum of 10 dozen eggs per week at $3/dozen. Anything above 10 dozen a week is profit. We have 49 laying hens and three roosters.

Last edited:
I have 16 hens. Through sales of day old chicks as well as other things that came up (like having a chicken in a movie, selling used chicken equipment ect ) they manage to pay for themselves :)

Back
Top Bottom