Do your ducks like to watch other birds flying around?

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
Pepper is a 6 month old wild-hatched mallard-cayuga at the lake. He has six siblings and seven cousins, so he knows he's a duck and not a human or a dog, etc. I think I've seen Pepper fly, but I'm not sure. I also think one of his brothers, another hybrid, doesn't fly that much, either. Both are not very bulky and have good flying to body ratios, so they could probably fly if they want.

The thing is that Pepper really seems to enjoy watching other birds fly. When he's not grooming, eating, or sleeping, he's watching birds flying around. They can be either his siblings, pigeons, seagulls, whatever's in the air. It's not like he's watching for hawks, more like studying the other birds. With other ducks, he'll watch as they fly over and land with much intensiveness. His non-flying brother doesn't pay any attention to anything flying around.

Here is a photo of Pepper watching some pigeons flying around behind him. He didn't start doing this until he was old enough to fly.

64797_pepper_1018.jpg

Do your ducks to that?

When there is a hawk in the sky, my rouen drake will look up and watch it fly around and herd the "ladies" to a near by shelter. He is a very good and watchfull drake. And will not get rid of him for that reason alone...

Mine LOVE to watch birds fly around. They also like to watch planes fly over.
Anything flying overhead causes synchronized head tilting.
smile.png

Pepper sure it pretty.

LOL. Thanks. It's just funny how he does it and no one else does unless it's a hawk or falcon.

Pepper was all black when he was a baby. It's funny how he turned out looking more like a mallard.

He is adorable! And beautiful! And looks nothing like a cayuga...
hmm.png
was the daddy a cayuga and got dumped there?

There was a loose mallard in the show hall Sunday morning at Crossroads (I tried to catch it and couldn't), and when she flew up, you should have heard the mayhem that ensued! ALL the Call ducks were cheering her on, every last one of them! I think they very much enjoyed seeing her fly when they couldn't!

Last edited:
My 3 Calls always react when wild ducks fly over. There duck house is close to a small pond behind one of my chicken houses. Wild ducks (mostly Wood ducks) land and spend the day at the pond often. When ever the ducks fly over, land or take off, my Calls always start yelling and tilt their heads to one side or the other to look up at the sky and watch their wild cousins.

Quote:
He's, I think so. I didn't know he was a Cayuga until I came to BYC and posted a photo of him. When you put a picture of him and Pepper side by side, you can see the resemblance. I think the dad might have a small bit of mallard in him, too' but he's all black.

Back
Top Bottom