Bad gasping episodes. Non-prescription fungal meds?

Poppy was a little better every day with the oxine I noticed after about 2 days some inprovement
I think it kills the fungal matter thats growing in there little by little
I read an article about how antibiotics make the fungus worse and I had given her 5 days of tylan before I knew about that and yes she did get worse for a while
what are you giving as an anti-inflammatory?

Just got notice of a delivery so Im going out to my mailbox now to retrieve my testing swabs and vials I ordered from research associates lab. I have to get a sample and mail it back to test for aspergillosis . all this time its been guesswork since Im not able to take her to a vet. I have to swab Poppies throat poor Poppy I hope I dont hurt her.

Did I mention I have 3 other ducks that were also coughing recently but not as bad as Poppy. I treated them all with Oxine ah by nebulizer just 3 treatments each and they are all better I think because I caught it right away and had the Oxine already here.

It's metacam, if I remember correctly. They're pills that the vet broke up for me into 1/4 pieces I think.

Percy did get much worse after 10 days of SMZ antibiotics so I stopped it then. However, he was completely better after 14 days SMZ last year. I guess it could be different types of bacteria/fungus this time though.

That's great to hear that oxine is so fast acting! I'll definitely want to keep oxine, silver, etc, from now on in a duck first aid kit.

Good luck with the swabbing! Percy absolutely hated when the vets looked down his throat or did a swab, but he's extra sensitive like that. I don't think most of my other ducks would mind that much.

They wouldn't refill his meds :( I explained the situation and everything. They won't without an exam.

I knew they wouldn't.

He last went there in May, had a blood test to check his kidneys to ensure that it was safe to give anti inflammatories.

If his kidneys were fine in May, there's a good chance they are now, and that doesn't even really matter right now anyways.

Vets can be just totally useless sometimes. Especially if they stick to rules and aren't flexible to the situation and use common sense. There's no reason he couldn't have meds for 1-2 weeks and then I bring him when he's not constantly choking.

They wouldn't refill his meds :( I explained the situation and everything. They won't without an exam.

I knew they wouldn't.

He last went there in May, had a blood test to check his kidneys to ensure that it was safe to give anti inflammatories.

If his kidneys were fine in May, there's a good chance they are now, and that doesn't even really matter right now anyways.

Vets can be just totally useless sometimes. Especially if they stick to rules and aren't flexible to the situation and use common sense. There's no reason he couldn't have meds for 1-2 weeks and then I bring him when he's not constantly choking.
i have some really bad vets around here too it really seems some of them only care about money i’m so sorry 😢
will pray for your little one

I knew they wouldn't.

I'm amazed you actually have access to someone who works on poultry! But maybe waiting to see the vet until the choking stops isn't the best strategy if you are able to get him help now. Sounds like the poor guy is suffering badly.
Hoping for the best.

I'm amazed you actually have access to someone who works on poultry! But maybe waiting to see the vet until the choking stops isn't the best strategy if you are able to get him help now. Sounds like the poor guy is suffering badly.
Hoping for the best.

It's because I know he would die if I tried to travel with him and have vets examine him. In the confined space in the car, it would be difficult to do these "techniques" to get him able to breathe, if he did it in the hospital I bet the vets would intervene when they don't know how to save him, and the stress of the whole thing would be enough to tip him over the edge. There's been times I was barely able to save him in "ideal" circumstances.

Plus, he gets extremely distressed even when he's relatively healthy when the vets look down his throat and they insist on doing that every time I bring him in, and they did today over the phone too. Why, I don't know, because they've told me on several occasions that they can't do anything about his throat, like an operation to remove the tissue isn't possible. So its like, if you can't treat his throat, what's the point of looking down it and maybe giving him a heart attack?

Even they say that birds can be prone to heart attacks due to stress. They actually killed my budgie last year, they gave him an exam and then trimmed his beak. He had a heart attack and died during the trim. They were fully aware of the risk, they should've realized that he was too stressed out to do the beak trim, but they went ahead. I didn't trust my gut then and my budgie died for it, I'm trusting it now.

Next time I bring Percy to the vet it's going to be with the hospital that removed the tumor from my other duck because they understand that they need to cater to the individual animal and take what the owner says seriously. The other hospital is good too, I mean I probably would have no idea about this tissue mass in his throat otherwise etc, but if they won't listen to me about not looking down his throat then I don't trust them with him anymore.

i have some really bad vets around here too it really seems some of them only care about money i’m so sorry 😢
will pray for your little one

Thank you, by some miracle he's actually been so well today! I was thinking it was gonna be like yesterday where he'd start choking in the evening, but it's 10:50pm and I only once had to help him today!

The other times, I'd see him get a bit choked up, but he was able to clear his throat himself and do normal things like cough. No panicked gasping and flailing around.

Hoping for no relapse now. If things stay the same I'll just try to continue making sure he gets enough sleep, isn't stressed, plenty of good food, etc. So he can throw this infection off. But otherwise I'll need to do the oxine.

I wonder if that smelly, slimy liquid that he threw up in the early morning really did somehow help. Like if it was trapped in his crop maybe. Or maybe it's because yesterday he also was pretty good, so maybe the inflammation is going down without him irritating it repeatedly. I imagine every time he had an episode it made his throat worse. You know, like when you've got a cold and you cough until your throat is raw.

He's still improving, just maybe not as fast as I would like, but his episodes arent as severe and he doesn't need much help now. Although I'm still scared to leave for long periods.

To control it now, i try to just slightly elevate his chest or hold his head and talk sweetly to him to calm him down, that often sends him to sleep. Sometimes a more drastic approach is needed like picking him up etc but it's definitely much better.

He started sneezing a fair amount a few days ago when he hadn't been before. I take that as a good sign though since he's improving. Like that it's coming out instead of staying trapped inside. Kind of like people with chest infections are told to not suppress their coughs I believe.

The main issue right now is that he still cant make his alarmed/displeased hiss, so he'll hear a weird noise or something and hiss and that'll usually immediately cause him to start gasping. He can make his happy/excited hiss all day long and it doesn't affect him, it's just that other vocalization. I noticed that during previous times he's gotten sick too. It's strange.

He's still improving, just maybe not as fast as I would like, but his episodes arent as severe and he doesn't need much help now. Although I'm still scared to leave for long periods.

To control it now, i try to just slightly elevate his chest or hold his head and talk sweetly to him to calm him down, that often sends him to sleep. Sometimes a more drastic approach is needed like picking him up etc but it's definitely much better.

He started sneezing a fair amount a few days ago when he hadn't been before. I take that as a good sign though since he's improving. Like that it's coming out instead of staying trapped inside. Kind of like people with chest infections are told to not suppress their coughs I believe.

The main issue right now is that he still cant make his alarmed/displeased hiss, so he'll hear a weird noise or something and hiss and that'll usually immediately cause him to start gasping. He can make his happy/excited hiss all day long and it doesn't affect him, it's just that other vocalization. I noticed that during previous times he's gotten sick too. It's strange.
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE i WAS WONDERING HOW HE WAS DOING
oops caps
My runner duck is also slowly sounding better, Im still nebbing her with colloidal silver am and pm

Back
Top Bottom