Bad gasping episodes. Non-prescription fungal meds?

Fawkes

Crowing
13 Years
May 8, 2011
Sorry, this a bit long because it's an odd case and I'm really stuck. I have a 10 year old muscovy, he's imprinted on me and a houseduck. He's got an abnormal throat. The vet says there's too much tissue in his throat. This was spotted 2 years ago when he had a bacterial and fungal throat infection. It's possible he was born with this abnormal throat (he was born with one eye too).

Anyway, last spring he also got what was apparently either a throat or respiratory infection (he had friends sick with a respiratory infection at the time). That time, the vet just wanted to try a 2 week course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory pills - they didn't test to see if it was possibly fungal too. They thought he'd need anti inflammatories for the rest of his life because of his throat, but he was fine after antibiotics. Last year, he still had a gasping episode 7 days into his course, but was fine after 14 days of antibiotics.

Now recently, he's having these gasping/choking episodes again (and again, his friends currently have a respiratory illness). But this time it's not just after he's eaten/drank, it happens randomly sometimes too. Like his friend flew down from her perch and it startled him i guess and triggered an episode.

It's really distressing, it looks like he's dying when it happens and he tends to have at least 1 episode a day. I have to make sure he doesn't hit anything as in the beginning of an episode he starts flapping around uncontrollably and shaking his head violently. I'm giving him leftover SMZ antibiotics that I had from another duck's vet visit. He's on day 10 of the course, but I think I'll run out before day 14.

2 years ago, he had a big chunk of what could only be a yeast plaque fly out of his throat during a gasping epsiode. It must've blocked his airway. So I'm thinking he possibly has yeast in his throat again, and that's why the antibiotics don't appear to be working. But it's just a guess.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure if I try to take him to the vet it'll trigger an episode and this time he'll die. But I'm afraid he's going to die either way. His episodes are worse today than before. He's also lost a lot of weight recently.

Does anyone have any idea of treatment options? Can I get fungal meds without a prescription? Would anti inflammatories help maybe? (last year, my vet said they'd give me refills when needed, so maybe they still will without bringing him back in). He's my baby and I feel like there's nothing I can do. I had really hoped the antibiotics would work 😢

Thanks, I'm checking out the links! Can you do the Oxine AH treatments without a very good setup for it? I know you want to make a "tent" ideally to ensure it's inhaled well. It's a real problem that treatment options are limited with him because of how severe his episodes are and that anything seems to trigger them.

And even in the best of times he's scared of things that are good for him e.g. even the vets told me he started dying when they tried to put him in a pool to swim, back when he had to stay at the vets a couple years ago. They were surprised he didn't do that at home. But then later he did start acting like he was dying at home when i'd try to put him in his kiddie pool (after he had recovered). He's extremely sensitive I guess. But usually very relaxed and sweet as long as you're not trying to do anything "weird" with him like give him a bath, medicate him, clip his nails, etc.

He's having an awful morning, I've never seen him this bad before. He's spent the last few hours having epsiodes, and mouth breathing when he's not having actual episodes. Usually he might have a couple short episodes a day (maybe lasting a few minutes or so), and mouth breathe a little bit afterwards, but be fine again in minutes. Today that's not the case.

I just realized, the vet gave me SMZ pills for him last year but I'm using liquid right now. I wonder if the pills were better, or maybe they prescribed a higher dose?

It's just weird that the antibiotics haven't worked when they did last year. He's showing the same symptoms.

He's back to his normal self this evening. That's another weird thing - other than an episode or two a day and losing weight (despite eating and pooping good), he doesn't seem sick really. He's currently trying to mate my legs. He mates his girl duck and my legs everyday, more times than I can count 😅

Then again, he was mating a lot 2 years ago when he got so sick with the throat infection that he had almost stopped eating completely and I had to tube feed him. Maybe being sick makes him extra horny lol.

Also, does this look like the right thing for the colloidal silver?

https://a.co/d/dh9Ags6
As for the Oxine ah I used it as a mist shooting it over their heads so it fell onto their faces.
I just buy the spray bottles at Lowes or online mi9x the Oxine in a gallon container and then pour into the spray bottle. I just bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/404297339135?itmmeta=01HQ0PW9KGBCY4V2HMGCWV0H6A&hash=item5e21ffd0ff:g:RWEAAOSwt-NkZulI&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAA8Nv18Pd4Ea1/XkJadQCm2PZOE1iXHMYAZo5ZQN306DFxzZy55Jql7tk0GSqzdd3wHTY86COJozqH3RzJfABeFtQCsdb+UltUMgMbIO4vlQWUqOrprLTmAs1zin7KZONg+vdvG0kbGsOPocruPX7Si+5KKGe51ysOvDutsj+W5hSMG8SRJWJ4npo13DoL0kRe5eHpQagTgyuM+7e3I6UWXADmlx/ebLAuUPqdeJUE4NgxcEVQpy3vokTmHV78Vr2lIRos5iw+DSnibwuS0Pw1KiNHB5BM/TStQHBB4A4BBPVoU+Y4a1wzTuZfqclgpZGtiw==|tkp:BFBM7Jnxlrhj

sorry this is the only way I know how to share. But I think this sprayer will work better and I can cover all bedding and roosts quicker. And it's a good price.
I have a friend who uses the silver a lot for herself and her birds and she rec 30ppm That is what I bought also.
@New duck mommy 2021 knows about using silver with her ducks and herself. she has taught me alot about it.

Last edited:
Also, does this look like the right thing for the colloidal silver?

https://a.co/d/dh9Ags6
This silver would work fine
I have a few different ones the 10 ppm is most common to find
I have given it orally to my duck with zero issues .5 to 1 ml daily
The spray I have used is 40 ppm
I never gave that one orally but did use it on her skin with no issues
Myself right now I’m fighting a chest infection and I’m taking the silver both orally and through my breathing machine twice a day
I’m getting getter after 3 days

Last edited:
Well not long after I said that I could stop his episodes, I stopped being able to. They've gone from bad to worse.

About an hour ago he almost died, he went cold and limp and I couldn't feel him taking breaths, but I was able to bring him back. He was breathing for several minutes after that like someone who had run a marathon, then was totally normal. But then he had another almost-dying episode just minutes after that, I think because he drank some water.

The Oxine AH is arriving any hour now. I just don't know if it's actually going to work. And even if it could, any kind of medication usually takes days to work.

I just wish a vet would prescribe anti fungal meds without bringing him in 😢 I think that's what he really needs.

I had just been thinking how well he was doing (long hours with no episodes) when it started again this morning.

My Oxine finally arrived! These measurements are for the nebulizer treatment, right?

Do you also do it orally (either put it in drinking water or syringe down them), or is doing both nebulizer and oral at the same time too much?
I'd just do the nebulizer. In the link shagbarkbantams he does suggest using 1/8tea. to their buckets to keep down the slime but nothing is said about using it by mouth.

@Jenbirdee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom