Bad gasping episodes. Non-prescription fungal meds?

@New duck mommy 2021 Ok great, I bought the one on Amazon which is arriving tomorrow

And I also bought one locally today that's 30 ppm. So that I can start medicating him today.

Do I give up to 1 ml per day if I'm using 30 ppm silver?
Yes
The higher the ppm is just the smaller the particles are
If it doesn’t have any other ingredients then it’s fine. I do 1ml
You can do .5 twice a day to equal 1

Thanks for all of y'alls help so far! The Oxine arrives tomorrow and currently I'm giving silver (via syringe) to him and 2 of his friends as well. One of them is definitely sick and the other seems like she is.

I've discovered that I can stop his episodes before they really get going by sitting on the floor, putting him in my lap, and basically holding his head, giving him kisses and telling him he's such a good boy and it's gonna be ok.

He absolutely loves cuddles and this calms him down. I feel/hear him take some deep breaths and then he stops thrashing and is back to normal. I've gotten to where I can get him to stop in less than 10 seconds sometimes.

My best guess with these episodes is that maybe mucus (or food) gets lodged in his throat, he suddenly can't breathe and he panics as he tries to breathe and dislodge it.

Well not long after I said that I could stop his episodes, I stopped being able to. They've gone from bad to worse.

About an hour ago he almost died, he went cold and limp and I couldn't feel him taking breaths, but I was able to bring him back. He was breathing for several minutes after that like someone who had run a marathon, then was totally normal. But then he had another almost-dying episode just minutes after that, I think because he drank some water.

The Oxine AH is arriving any hour now. I just don't know if it's actually going to work. And even if it could, any kind of medication usually takes days to work.

I just wish a vet would prescribe anti fungal meds without bringing him in 😢 I think that's what he really needs.

I had just been thinking how well he was doing (long hours with no episodes) when it started again this morning.

Well not long after I said that I could stop his episodes, I stopped being able to. They've gone from bad to worse.

About an hour ago he almost died, he went cold and limp and I couldn't feel him taking breaths, but I was able to bring him back. He was breathing for several minutes after that like someone who had run a marathon, then was totally normal. But then he had another almost-dying episode just minutes after that, I think because he drank some water.

The Oxine AH is arriving any hour now. I just don't know if it's actually going to work. And even if it could, any kind of medication usually takes days to work.

I just wish a vet would prescribe anti fungal meds without bringing him in 😢 I think that's what he really needs.

I had just been thinking how well he was doing (long hours with no episodes) when it started again this morning.
I’m going to message you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/runner-duck-cough-or-hiccups-aspergillosis.1606047/
Go to page 9 scroll down to the post where I share all the links from Majestic waterfowl rescue
The mixture for the Oxine AH is 3/4 cup (6 oz) per gallon of water
I figured that down smaller to be 2 Tbsp in 21.3 OZ water

My Oxine finally arrived! These measurements are for the nebulizer treatment, right?

Do you also do it orally (either put it in drinking water or syringe down them), or is doing both nebulizer and oral at the same time too much?

My Oxine finally arrived! These measurements are for the nebulizer treatment, right?

Do you also do it orally (either put it in drinking water or syringe down them), or is doing both nebulizer and oral at the same time too much?
I'd just do the nebulizer. In the link shagbarkbantams he does suggest using 1/8tea. to their buckets to keep down the slime but nothing is said about using it by mouth.

@Jenbirdee

Last edited:
I'd just do the nebulizer. In the link shagbarkbantams he does suggest using 1/8te to their buckets to keep down the slime but nothing is said about using it by mouth.

@Jenbirdee

the mixture of 3/4 cup into 1 gallon water is for using it in the nebulizer and also you can use it in a spray bottle set to mist and spray inside their coop , I do that every day after I clean out poops and wet spots I put some fresh straw or pine flakes and do a light misting into the coop it to keep the dust down. It can also be spray misted above the birds heads so they breathe some (like nebulizing) My ducks get crazy when I do this they act like Im trying to kill them , I dont do it often maybe once a week for all the ducks now. But my one with the respiratory trouble gets nebulized. The recommendations I have read on the amount of time and times per day is a little varied so I settled on 3x a day (approx every 8 hours) for 20-25 minutes inside the small dog crate with a big towel over it.
It can be done for 2 weeks even up to 4 weeks , I did 1 week of misting at first with sprayer before I had nebulizer then I did a week of nebulizer but without a crate and only for 5 minutes at a time and lastly I realized she needed the 3x a day for 25 minutes so we did that. I honestly believe the antibioticsI had given her at first may have made her worse and thats why its taking so long to get well, but she is hanging in there, sounds better but not 100% , now I give her 5 minutes of colloidal silver in the nebulizer morning and evening, I hold her on my lap and use the little face mask thing thats for humans but it seems ok for her.
I made this video when using neb before the crate

the mixture of 3/4 cup into 1 gallon water is for using it in the nebulizer and also you can use it in a spray bottle set to mist and spray inside their coop , I do that every day after I clean out poops and wet spots I put some fresh straw or pine flakes and do a light misting into the coop it to keep the dust down. It can also be spray misted above the birds heads so they breathe some (like nebulizing) My ducks get crazy when I do this they act like Im trying to kill them , I dont do it often maybe once a week for all the ducks now. But my one with the respiratory trouble gets nebulized. The recommendations I have read on the amount of time and times per day is a little varied so I settled on 3x a day (approx every 8 hours) for 20-25 minutes inside the small dog crate with a big towel over it.
It can be done for 2 weeks even up to 4 weeks , I did 1 week of misting at first with sprayer before I had nebulizer then I did a week of nebulizer but without a crate and only for 5 minutes at a time and lastly I realized she needed the 3x a day for 25 minutes so we did that. I honestly believe the antibioticsI had given her at first may have made her worse and thats why its taking so long to get well, but she is hanging in there, sounds better but not 100% , now I give her 5 minutes of colloidal silver in the nebulizer morning and evening, I hold her on my lap and use the little face mask thing thats for humans but it seems ok for her.
I made this video when using neb before the crate
Thank you for sharing this video it really helps to see it done visually.
What a sweet Poppy and @Jenbirdee too.
❤️

Back
Top Bottom