Documentation of My Project Naked Necks

draye

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Arkansas
First off I don't know how folks can get those great pictures of their chickens. I tried but this was the best I could get.
I am trying to get a new line of Naked Necks going for myself mostly.

So here is what I'm working with:
Rooster:

This is a Salmon colored rooster, he came from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri.
Sorry I couldn't get him to turn his head around to get a better shot, but this one shows his coloring pretty well.

Hen:

Again, couldn't get her to cooperate with me to get a better photo. This does show her coloring pretty well.
This is what I call a Salmon-Buff. Anyone know a better color name?
This is a hen that I breed myself. Hatched in 2012.
Sire was a Blue Red Slash Easter Egger rooster (Blue Red Easter Egger x Blue Red Splash Easter Egger)
Mother was one of two Buff Naked Necks hens that I had at the time.
As you can see she looks more like the Easter Eggers although she is a little larger that most EE hens.

I hatched 6 eggs (5/15/2014), I marked all the offspring with small cable ties, but one seems to have lost the band. So he has gotten mixed with the general population (the rest of the hatch).
2 were naked necked and the other four were non-Naked Necked.

Number One:

Naked Neck: Appears to be white although there (can't see it in the photo) is a little color in the background color. Can't tell for sure what color it is.
This little one was a feisty one. Every time I let go of him to snap a picture he would jump and try to run off.

Two:

Naked Neck 2: A little bigger than the previous one. Splotches of color. Eager to see what color this one will turn out to be. (Paint?)

These next three I'm only keeping for now to see what they turn out like.
Number 3-4-5.

Project: Improving size and laying in the hen lines of Naked Necks. I what colorful chickens. I'm not really trying to keep the green egg gene nor am I trying to get rid of it, just whatever color they lay is fine. Going to see what colors I can come up with.

Hopefully the two NN's above will be pullets. My luck tough they will both be roosters.

I appreciate you looking at my chickens. I welcome comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Nice birds. Continue to take photos because the birds do not stay still unless they are on their roots at night. Photography just like everything else takes tones of practice i.e. experience. Some people put the babies in a three sided box but you still need to be quick. The full size birds are sometimes hobbled for a brief period to keep them still. Another type if photo is when they are being handed treats but than you might want two people for that style.

I was thinking the same thing. He looks pretty stout.

Gonna try to get updates pictures tomorrow, done an auction this morning until about 2:33 this afternoon and am totally worn out. It is very humid here in Arkansas today.

Here's an update on the project:

I will no longer be keeping up with the three that turned out without naked necks.

Here is the first one:

This is last weeks picture.

Here
it is one week and 1 day later. This one I'm thinking pullet.

Here is the second one:

Last weeks picture.

Now one week and one day later. I'm thinking cockerel on this one. He already has a beard.

Last edited:

Two or three days old. One week old.

Two weeks and 1 day old. Sorry about the wet look, it was drizzling.

Two or three days old. 1 week old.

2 weeks and 1 day old. This is a shot of the last one I posted of the wing colors coming in.

ENJOY !

Last edited:
I love that salmon colored rooster. I think that may end up being what some of my white babies ill end up as. They have changed already and we can see different colors coming into their wings.

Sorry I have no updated photos for this week.
I had some taken but they turned out really fuzzy so I decided not to post them.
On another note I found the sixth chick from this pairing, it was a Naked Neck one so that came out 3 with NN and 3 without.
Hopefully next week will be better and I can get some better pictures.
Thanks for staying with me on this and reading.

Back
Top Bottom