Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

I asked this question on another thread, but I think I'll get more responses here so I'll ask again.
What are the pros vs. cons of preemptively deworming a flock? Is it more or less logical or practical to do fecal testing rather than just adopt a regular schedule of deworming?

I asked this question on another thread, but I think I'll get more responses here so I'll ask again.
What are the pros vs. cons of preemptively deworming a flock? Is it more or less logical or practical to do fecal testing rather than just adopt a regular schedule of deworming?
If one can afford to have routine fecals done I think that's the way to go. As long as the flock is healthy looking, all birds in good flesh, laying normally, etc, and your fecals are negative, probably no reason to worm, but if one looks iffy, I say worm it for roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms with Safeguard or Valbazen.

I know it's been said before in this thread, but I will say it again... Ivermectin, when used as recommended is *not* an effective poultry wormer. Safeguard or Valbezen are much better choices, though people should also know that a one day treatment with *Safeguard* will *notT treat capillary worms and gapeworms.

-Kathy

Will the pour on version kill feather mites also
It will not kill feather lice. I have read that it won't kill mites either when the *correct* dose is used. The correct dose of the pour on is 0.5mg/kg, which means 0.23ml for a five pound chicken, that's less than 1/4cc.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I am of the mindset that any animal that eats from the ground will get worms. Rabbits, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, wild birds, deer...they all have worms. They frequent our property, they poop on our property, the chickens scratch in the grass/dirt where the aforementioned have pooped. Therefore I find it almost impossible to believe that our chickens would not get worms. We have a horse in a pasture only about 20 yards from our home and the chicken coop/pen. We frequently use composted and sometimes raw manure to fertilize our gardens, where once again, the chickens love to scratch and forage. We regularly worm our horse, however, horses get strongyles, ascarids, pinworms, etc. Wouldn't the chickens be exposed to worm eggs that would be left behind in the poop?

Does anyone know at what age it is safe to worm the chickens? Also, how long after they are wormed do you have to discard the eggs until they are once again safe to eat?

Chickens cant get worms from other animals nor infective eggs from other animals and visa versa. Young birds can be wormed as early as 8-10 weeks if they are on soil. Wormers vary with withdrawal periods. Normally 14 days after last dosing with most.

I am of the mindset that any animal that eats from the ground will get worms. Rabbits, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, wild birds, deer...they all have worms. They frequent our property, they poop on our property, the chickens scratch in the grass/dirt where the aforementioned have pooped. Therefore I find it almost impossible to believe that our chickens would not get worms. We have a horse in a pasture only about 20 yards from our home and the chicken coop/pen. We frequently use composted and sometimes raw manure to fertilize our gardens, where once again, the chickens love to scratch and forage. We regularly worm our horse, however, horses get strongyles, ascarids, pinworms, etc. Wouldn't the chickens be exposed to worm eggs that would be left behind in the poop?

Does anyone know at what age it is safe to worm the chickens? Also, how long after they are wormed do you have to discard the eggs until they are once again safe to eat?
If needed, one can worm them with Safeguard at any age, but you would have to know how much they weigh and calculate their dose based on that.

-Kathy

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this. Based on this information, I calculated that you would use a toothpick tip dipped into Ivermectin 1.87% equine paste per chicken.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this. Based on this information, I calculated that you would use a toothpick tip dipped into Ivermectin 1.87% equine paste per chicken.
Keep in mind that it's not likely to treat any worms. You would be better off getting Safeguard or Valbazen. Here is another picture that shows how much is needed for a five pound bird. It's the amount next to the grain of rice:

The blob next to the grain of rice is 0.025ml (.4675 mg ivermectin)

-Kathy

Last edited:
Here's another picture. The dose needed to treat a five pound chicken with 1.87% ivermectin is 0.025ml, half of what the arrow points to. Make sense? It's probably okay just to give the 0.05ml amount, that won't hurt a five pound bird.

-Kathy

Edited to fix typo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom