Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

@JensChickies I had to make my own judgement on this as my vet was knowledgeable enough about these mites, but I don't think he knew enough about treating them. He had suggested just one dose of the Cattle Pour On behind the neck. I have large breeds and put 5 drops directly on the skin on the backs of the necks of the birds. I noticed about 24 hours later there was a lot less chewing of the feathers and constant grooming. This lasted about 3 or 4 days and then they all returned to their chewing.

So a week later I repeated the dosage on the back of the necks and the same thing happened....the picking and chewing improved but again they returned to it but a few days later. Again a week after this I redosed them again. (what I think was going on was that the Ivermectin can't get up into these feather shafts, however mites that come down out of the shafts in search of a new feather to feast on, or any babies that have hatched in search of a meal, die when they hit the skin.)

Long story short, I ended up dosing them once a week for 5 weeks. Eventually the chewing and incessant grooming stopped along with newly formed bald spots from their plucking and festering. None of the birds ever got sick from these treatments however I have no idea if I over dosed them or did any damage to organs or the immune system.

But they are starting to molt and they are not messing with these new feathers and the newly grown feathers are not showing any of these horizontal thin lines associated with these mites consuming the feathers as they grow.

I won't be 100% sure I truly got them all until the birds completely molt out into new feathers, but I think at this point, I got most of these mites killed off.

@TwoCrows , if you ever use the pour on again I think you can use more than you did. You say the ones you treat were large? I just did the math real quick and six pound bird can have 0.28ml, so one could probably double that and be okay.

For the pour on, math is weight in pounds, divide by 2.2, x 0.5 x 5 = number of ml

-Kathy

@TwoCrows , if you ever use the pour on again I think you can use more than you did. You say the ones you treat were large? I just did the math real quick and six pound bird can have 0.28ml, so one could probably double that and be okay.

For the pour on, math is weight in pounds, divide by 2.2, x 0.5 x 5 = number of ml

-Kathy
Kathy, thanks so much for this vote of confidence! Using my birds as guinea pigs is never easy to do since you take risks using drugs on them. So I am happy to know I probably caused no harm.

I used the 5mg per mL stuff. I know there is another type of Cattle Pour On? My birds very in weights from 5 pounds to 8 pounds. Actually I think I put 6 drops on the heavier birds and 5 on the lighter ones.

Hopefully I never have to deal with this again, LOL. I have never had any type of mites in my coop until this Quill mite issue.

Quote:
I think all the cattle pour on stuff is 5 mg/ml, but I might be wrong. If you ever find one that's different, please let me know, 'cause that's something I'd like to add to my collection of drug info.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Kathy, isn't there something like Ivomec?? that is applied differently? I thought I read a thread here once that these two Pour Ons differ?

I may just be confusing this with something else. It has been a long time since I read that thread and I am not going to go digging for it. LOL

I read a post on here where the lady first bathed the bird in Sebazole shampoo..its a medicated shampoo. Then she put a couple drops ivermectin pour on the base of the neck and under the wings.

So how many drops should I put on the base of the neck?

Kathy, isn't there something like Ivomec?? that is applied differently? I thought I read a thread here once that these two Pour Ons differ? 

I may just be confusing this with something else. It has been a long time since I read that thread and I am not going to go digging for it. LOL

So far the only pour on I have found is for cattle, and all are 5mg/ml. There's also the 1% injectable *and* an oral one for sheep. The injectable is 10mg/ml and the sheep drench is 0.8mg/ml. There might be others, but that is what I have found so far.

-Kathy

I read a post on here where the lady first bathed the bird in Sebazole shampoo..its a medicated shampoo. Then she put a couple drops ivermectin pour on the base of the neck and under the wings.

So how many drops should I put on the base of the neck?

How much do they weigh? And what product do you have?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom