Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

I used Ivermectin last fall on my flock and I personally thought it was hard on them. I ended up throwing my eggs away for 6 weeks to be sure they were safe since I sell my eggs to my co-workers for eating. I didn't want to be the blame for everyone calling in sick.
hmm.png
I will be using Verm-X this year.

Last edited:
Quote:
This would be the reason to use the DE with the ivermec. Good luck with your chickens!
smile.png

Last edited:
How long should it take for the ivermectin to kill the lice and mites crawling all over my poor chickens?

I used it recently on a chick who was infested with lice and within an hour I literally saw the lice dying and dropping off the bird. (BTW, I don't necessarily recommend it for chicks......but I had to do something and I only used a couple of drops.)

here is the deal on worming chickens
IF you have never wormed chickens try and give the wazine or peperzine first for the round worms
BECAUSE the process of killing off all the worms in the chicken will POISON the chicken and do more harm than good

then in 10 days worm with Ivermectin
this wormer goes into the BLOOD STREAM and kills the worm larvea as was needed

then people feed DE in the feed 2% of feed given is DE then the DE knicks the worms soft skin and they the adult worms die of dehydration and then dry up and provide protein to the chickens body

thus twice a yr do the chemical wormer to get the worm larvea in the blood stream and DE the rest of the time

with that said there are three kinds of wworms that need vet wormer Droncit and one other to kill
tape worms, gape worms and one other kind of worm such as cecel worm

but the two I mentioned to give is the most popular kinds

the Ivermectin is expensive but can be used on other animals/ also stays stable for along time

Yes Merek had provided Ivermectin in the 3rd world countires for eye worm blindness of people living around rivers
called river blindness
Before that the peoples families had to take care of them for life of blindness
now Marek's gives them two pills a yr
you can email me for any other info PM me as I will try and help you all with worming

We use Ivermectin on our flock, administered orally. Vet recommends a second worming 7-10 days later with fenbendazole (a popular wormer for horses). We eat our eggs after worming, no ill effects.

We use DE on the perches in the coop, in the pen and wherever the chicks dust.

Cheers, Lynn

How long should it take for the ivermectin to kill the lice and mites crawling all over my poor chickens?

ivermectin is of limited value in dealing with external parasites > if you have a bad case you need to treat with a topical solution (there are many > permethrin/pyrethrin solutions are a very good choice > increase the strength to use for treating your coop > has no use to treat the birds when they just get reinfested in the coop!)​

http://us.merial.com/producers/dairy/products/dairy_ivomec_pouron.asp

The
Ivomec website shows it's 100% effective on lice.

That's what I would treat with. Though I can understand you wanting to avoid treating with medications. If the infestation is high though, you may end up losing some of your chickens.

One of those between a rock and a hard place decisions.

Best of luck with your flock, and please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom