Does anyone else Free Range?

I let mine out of the pen after they are done laying eggs for the day.

I let mine out of the pen after they are done laying eggs for the day.

Nice place! This raises a question for me. My girls have an automatic pop door.I'm not there M-Th. Is it normal this time of year for 5 hens to lay 2-3 eggs a day this time of year or could there be another spot that they are laying since their door opens so early? We are in North Texas where it is still fairly mild.

Wow! What part of the country do you live in? It looks like early morning in this picture. We don't let our chickens/ducks out of their locked coop until 7:30 am. We also have a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd that leave their scent all over the place. They're kept in the house at night. Would a big dog help you? Our flock does their free ranging from the coop/barn to our "front yard" which is about 1/2 acre fenced by just cattle fencing. Anything could go under it or over it, but it keeps the chickens away from the rest of the property and the woods.

In upstate NY we have coyotes, red and Grey fox, bobcats, fishers, but the one the I've found to be the most deadly chicken killer is a cute little chipmunk size weasel.

What kind of hunters, what time of day, etc are fishers? Although we have lots of predators I don't worry about the possums, raccoons and owls, even weasels that are out at night when the chickens are locked up safely. Thankfully hawks don't appear to be the most efficient hunters. We've had several hawk attacks that resulted in no deaths or injuries. I sometimes wonder how the hawks survive.
Foxes however are a different story. They can hunt at any time and are cunning, and cowards Unfortunately they lean towards a sneaky smartness. If we can keep the foxes from getting the chickens, all is well.

Back
Top Bottom