Does anyone else Free Range?

What kind of hunters, what time of day, etc are fishers? Although we have lots of predators I don't worry about the possums, raccoons and owls, even weasels that are out at night when the chickens are locked up safely. Thankfully hawks don't appear to be the most efficient hunters. We've had several hawk attacks that resulted in no deaths or injuries. I sometimes wonder how the hawks survive.
Foxes however are a different story. They can hunt at any time and are cunning, and cowards Unfortunately they lean towards a sneaky smartness. If we can keep the foxes from getting the chickens, all is well.
Your best bet is to do a google search regarding fishers. they're vicious killers, and will even chase a porcupine up a tree and kill it by getting at it's belly. They will wipe out every cat in a neighborhood.

Your best bet is to do a google search regarding fishers.  they're vicious killers, and will even chase a porcupine up a tree and kill it by getting at it's belly.  They will wipe out every cat in a neighborhood.  

I didn't even know we had them until I cought one on my trail cam eating a gut pile from a deer. I have a 80 acre field behind my house, and then woods, thats where I got him on my cam. I pray it doesn't find out I have chickens. They say they are like mini wolverines. I read they can go up and down a tree the same speed cause they can turn their feet backwards. This one was about the size of a skinny extra long woodchuck.

Wow! What part of the country do you live in? It looks like early morning in this picture. We don't let our chickens/ducks out of their locked coop until 7:30 am. We also have a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd that leave their scent all over the place. They're kept in the house at night. Would a big dog help you? Our flock does their free ranging from the coop/barn to our "front yard" which is about 1/2 acre fenced by just cattle fencing. Anything could go under it or over it, but it keeps the chickens away from the rest of the property and the woods.
We live in Florida. This picture was taken in the late afternoon. He was on the part of our property that we don't have fenced in. He's looking right at the chicken coop that is just on the
other side of the fence. He has already tried to get to our chickens numerous times but he has failed because my husband built a awesome coop/run. We can't free range because this is
not the first (or only) bobcat in our area. It's sad but if we want to keep chickens we have to keep them lock up in their pen.

Wow Janet that Bobcat looks awfully comfortable in your yard. Is this a normal occurrence?

Unfortunately yes. We have many bobcats in our area which we didn't know about until we got our chickens 3 years ago. This is a big one. This was taken around 9:30am. He's watching our chickens......

Last edited:
I am so sorry. I see what you mean by him looking at the coop. Would something like that attack, say a 5 year old child if they were outside alone? What about an electrical fence around an area to give that monster a little tingle? My husband doesn't like the chicken and duck poop on our walk and how they dig the area out from under the bushes. Wants to keep them down by their coop which has the same cattle fencing around half the barn and the barn has an overhang. There is also a small bare holding pen out in the open. He wants to keep them down there and give our grass in the front yard a rest. But I really enjoy looking out my front window and seeing them all over the yard. I take care of my 100% disabled father and rarely leave the house because someone has to stay with him at all times. I need the relaxation and enjoyment of watching them.

Janet I wonder if somebody is feeding them that lives sround you? This one looks to at ease around your place, especially in broad daylight. I used to live in the mountains and had a cougar living in close proximity, that cat was like a ghost we'd rarely see him either at sunup or set and if we did he'd run for cover. I also had heard there was a lady up there who had Bobcats as pets, that could be possible where you're at to. Sounds like your husband built a strong coop, this is good. Another thing might be to call the county animal control, they might be able to relocate him and check up on his health. Sometimes health issues cause them to keep abnormal hours. Make lots of noise when you go out to your coop to. Stay safe!

Last edited:
Holy cow Janet! Do you have dogs? Scaring them with a shotgun blast might work I also wonder if the spray lion urine might keep them away. i used it to keep the deer out of my vegetable garden. I sprayed it on rag strips that were tied to the fence.

Back
Top Bottom