Does anyone else use a Janoel incubator?

Hi
I just Brought one.of these an am just wondering how to adjust the humidity?? It doesn't tell me.in the instructions

Thanks

Oh God yeh the instructions are ridiculous, I felt insane just trying to read them aloud...

It is set to incubate chicks by default, but I guess if you're adjusting humidity you want them for ducks?

I couldn't work out how to change the humidity either. I thought that maybe, as there are two settings with decimal points in them, these were the temperatures, and the two settings without decimals were humidity, but I could be wrong...
Also, don't really know what those other setting are, it's all a bit confusing, could've been set out a lot better.

In terms of upping the humidity, maybe spray duck eggs with a light mist of warm water twice a day, and when 4 days before hatching (when you set them onto the lower tray so they don't get turned) sit sterilized jam jar lids with warm water in, one on either side of eggs, as well as warm water soaked in clean, small pieces of fabric, this massively increases moisture surface area.
Just putting more water in won't help make more humidity.

More than anything, buy a digital thermometer to test internal temperature. Incubator screens are commonly inaccurate. And mine is now inaccurate by 2 degree C!!! You can buy a cheapish digital thermometer from Ebay for like £3 ($5.?)

Get one that has a probe attachment so you can place it inside the 'bator and still close it properly.
Turn 'bator on without eggs in, leave on for a whole day, when you know you're going to be in, and keep checking for fluctuations and inaccuracies.

The fault I think my 9 chicken egg one has (not sure about your model) is that the circuit itself is exposed on the underside of the lid, which seems stupid because it is in direct contact with the heat and the moisture residue...

Anyway, I'm incubating eggs now, says it's 37.5 on the screen, but on my digital therm' it says 35.5! So I've had to turn it up 2 degrees and still fluctuates by a massive 0.8.
I'll let you know how it goes. My first lot of chicks were very successful. But if you have a warranty, don't chuck it out...I think Janoel is good at first and then gets crap to be honest, can be very stressful!

Let me know how things go! x

Last edited:
It's always best to store your eggs cool - below 10 degrees c if you can - they are fine for 10 days and I recently hatched turkey eggs over 14 days old with no problem - turn them at least twice a day whilst you are storing them so the yolk doesn't stick to a certain part of the inside of the shell - allow them to come to room temperature for 12-24 hours before putting them in the incubator - I have had better results with Janoel by manually turning - the automatic turner just rocks the egg from side to side settling back where it was at the end of the manoeuvre. I have also had better hatches by keeping the humidity lower for the first 18 days for chickens 30-40% - I do this by putting a small expresso cup of water in the centre of the incubator - and then stop turning on day 18 and increase the humidity to 55-60 % for the last 3 days - had a100% hatch with 14 turkeys using this method last time although with turkeys I keep the humidity even lower !! - I used 37.6 for temp and drop it to 37.3 for the last 3 days when I increase the humidity.
Good luck - happy hatching :)

If you take water out of the channel just making it shallower but not reducing the surface area available for evaporation it won't make any difference to the humidity -if you want to drop it don't use the channels use something else - a small cup, spounge, wet paper towel etc - I find the channel has too large a surface area and always give too high humidity

I got the 12 egg incubator and I have 8 duck eggs inside (duct tape really helped on this one
tongue.png
). So far so good for me. I'm on day 18 and all eggs are healthy and happy
ya.gif
. I don't know about you guys but I only re-fill the water about once every week which is pretty good. Happy hatching!

I have the same problem. I bought a little hygrometer to have inside with the eggs, and was dismayed to see the temp it at 34 degrees Celcius. The humidity is 50%. Should I believe my incubator. I selected 0 fluctuation so it seems steady at 37.8 C or maybe not???:(
Hi don't mean to butt in but would just like to share my experience of a cheap china incubator. It was very cheap and thermostat button looked very odd bit of a sticker to tell you what temp you are on. I did try some eggs in this set at temp 37.5 c and filled base with water as per instructed. This was my first ever hatch so was a newbie. As a result nothing hatched, nothing developed. So onto the next, this time bought new lizard/reptile hygrometer and small round green house thermometer. When it had been up and running the incubator was running at nearly 45c I had cooked my first eggs. As to the humidity it was far too high only needed very small amount of water in base. I would never believe cheap china incubator. After that all hatches were between 50 and 80%. Once I got the bug for hatching I got a Brinsea octagon advance ex with humidity pump and have not looked back hatches now at 80-100%. Plus it takes all the panic out of temps and humidity as it does it all for you digitally. Thanks for reading my ramblings. :jumpy

My first time using the Janoel 12 incubator - a bit iffy at first but I think I've sorted it out and now I'm 2 days into incubating eggs. I've learnt quite a bit about it, and figured I'd share my experience.
smile.png

So there it is, and you can see the tiny tube that I've fed down to the bottom that I use to inject water without opening it all up. I have it set to 37.8 degrees celcius, for my coturnix quail, but during my test run I realized the thermostat on the incubator was totally wrong.

This is my thermometer/hydrometer for the inside, which I have on the egg level. I would REALLY recommend getting one of these, costs barely anything from ebay. I knew it was cheap, but I checked it with the clock in my kitchen and it had the humidity and temperature exactly the same (to 0.1) so I decided to trust it.
The key to using this incubator is adjusting the temperature display on the top - which is not properly explained in the poorly translated instruction manual. If you just use it and go by the temperature displayed you'll probably end up cooking all your eggs.
You need to hold the 'set' button for 3 seconds to get the menu, then press the + button until you get to CA which is temperature correction. The value mine came set on was -1.3, and it can be a positive or minus number I think it depends on the ambient temperature of the room.
You need to run the bator for a couple of hours, then check the temp at egg level and compare it with the temp that the incubator is displaying (which is where the second thermometer is essential). Then you should change the CA value accordingly - I have mine on -1.6 now and have had to change it when it got really cold (not sure why). You should end up the temperature display on the top reading the same as the one at egg level, and then you're good to go
big_smile.png

Sorry about the poor photo quality. Don't worry if the temperature fluctuates a bit because I find the temperature display reacts quick to changes whilst the internal temperature takes longer to adjust. Also don't set the temperature correction to 0 and panic when it displays something like 40, it's not that hot inside, it's just how they've calibrated the display to the thermostat.

It's a shame the incubator doesn't have humidity control - I've checked and the Janoel 12 definitely doesn't. The HU and HD settings aren't anything to do with humidity, they're set by the factory, so just ignore them. I find it's fine just injecting a bit of water into the bottom twice a day which brings it up to about 50%, and sponges will hopefully be fine after lockdown.

I'm hoping I can get the best out of this cheap incubator, and I hope this is helpful for anyone else who's as confused as I was
tongue.png

My first time using the Janoel 12 incubator - a bit iffy at first but I think I've sorted it out and now I'm 2 days into incubating eggs. I've learnt quite a bit about it, and figured I'd share my experience. :) So there it is, and you can see the tiny tube that I've fed down to the bottom that I use to inject water without opening it all up. I have it set to 37.8 degrees celcius, for my coturnix quail, but during my test run I realized the thermostat on the incubator was totally wrong. This is my thermometer/hydrometer for the inside, which I have on the egg level. I would REALLY recommend getting one of these, costs barely anything from ebay. I knew it was cheap, but I checked it with the clock in my kitchen and it had the humidity and temperature exactly the same (to 0.1) so I decided to trust it. The key to using this incubator is adjusting the temperature display on the top - which is not properly explained in the poorly translated instruction manual. If you just use it and go by the temperature displayed you'll probably end up cooking all your eggs. You need to hold the 'set' button for 3 seconds to get the menu, then press the + button until you get to CA which is temperature correction. The value mine came set on was -1.3, and it can be a positive or minus number I think it depends on the ambient temperature of the room. You need to run the bator for a couple of hours, then check the temp at egg level and compare it with the temp that the incubator is displaying (which is where the second thermometer is essential). Then you should change the CA value accordingly - I have mine on -1.6 now and have had to change it when it got really cold (not sure why). You should end up the temperature display on the top reading the same as the one at egg level, and then you're good to go :D [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Sorry about the poor photo quality. Don't worry if the temperature fluctuates a bit because I find the temperature display reacts quick to changes whilst the internal temperature takes longer to adjust. Also don't set the temperature correction to 0 and panic when it displays something like 40, it's not that hot inside, it's just how they've calibrated the display to the thermostat. It's a shame the incubator doesn't have humidity control - I've checked and the Janoel 12 definitely doesn't. The HU and HD settings aren't anything to do with humidity, they're set by the factory, so just ignore them. I find it's fine just injecting a bit of water into the bottom twice a day which brings it up to about 50%, and sponges will hopefully be fine after lockdown. I'm hoping I can get the best out of this cheap incubator, and I hope this is helpful for anyone else who's as confused as I was :p
I hatched 7 out of 9 in one of those. One egg clear and one blood ring. They will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I never could figure out how to adjust that temp. But I had two thermometers in it that both read about right so I left it the way it came at 38* and they hatched on day 21. I worried a lot over the humidity. It was very cold then and I felt like the house was very dry. When I candled at day 8 and then 14 I thought the air cells were smallish. So I quit adding water till day 19. One pipped the wrong end of shell but hatched just fine anyway.

That's fab thank you. I've currently got it on with some eggs in it. It's running on 37.5°c and humidity is 36%. I've been playing around with it all day before i was confident to put the eggs in. I've found that putting a drop of water in a pot at the bottom keeps the humidity low rather than putting in straight into the bottom of the incubator. But that's what I'll do on lock down day! Excited
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom