Does anyone else use a Janoel incubator?

That's what my problem was. I didn't have any thermometers in mine and depended on the built in one completely. I couldn't get the hydrometer to read over 50%. I'm prepared and ready for the next time. I bought 3 thermometers/hydrometers to put in there. I'm going to place them in various areas at egg level. I think that if your going to trust the built in digital system you might as well just throw the eggs away. I had no luck at all.

One day the thermometer I had on the inside read lower and I tried to turn the temp up and It would go below 38 but not over 38. I guess I never figured there was a way of just calibrating 38 to where you wanted it to be. The instructions are incomprehensible. I ordered another thermometer/ hygrometer for the inside. That made me feel better. I've got eggs I started yesterday in there now. These are shipped eggs. I'm adding no water this time till lock down. Been warmer and very rainy. And hygrometer shows 35%. I think it may run low, so I'm happy not worrying about adding water. That is unless the air cells look too big at 7 or 14 days. Also, since these eggs were shipped and there were 15 of them, I cut up an egg carton took out the bottom of each cell and set them with air cell up. I am intermittently tilting the whole incubator. Only slightly at first but I plan to tilt further as I am hoping the air cells stay put.

One day the thermometer I had on the inside read lower and I tried to turn the temp up and It would go below 38 but not over 38. I guess I never figured there was a way of just calibrating 38 to where you wanted it to be. The instructions are incomprehensible. I ordered another thermometer/ hygrometer for the inside. That made me feel better. I've got eggs I started yesterday in there now. These are shipped eggs. I'm adding no water this time till lock down. Been warmer and very rainy. And hygrometer shows 35%. I think it may run low, so I'm happy not worrying about adding water. That is unless the air cells look too big at 7 or 14 days. Also, since these eggs were shipped and there were 15 of them, I cut up an egg carton took out the bottom of each cell and set them with air cell up. I am intermittently tilting the whole incubator. Only slightly at first but I plan to tilt further as I am hoping the air cells stay put.
I forgot to mention that the eggs I was trying to incubate had been shipped eggs as well. I also purchased the egg turner with it so I wouldn't have to open it to turn the eggs. I opened it only 3 times through the duration of the process. I was happy with the hygrometer at 50% until week 18. Then I tried to raise the humidity to 70%. Never could get it to pass 50%. I covered the entire bottom of the bator with water and when that didn't raise it I also added a wet sponge.. Nothing. I'll never trust the digital read out again.. I might even go as far as covering the numbers with tape so I can't see them.. Just depending only on the 3 thermometer/hygrometers I put in there.

I forgot to mention that the eggs I was trying to incubate had been shipped eggs as well. I also purchased the egg turner with it so I wouldn't have to open it to turn the eggs. I opened it only 3 times through the duration of the process. I was happy with the hygrometer at 50% until week 18. Then I tried to raise the humidity to 70%. Never could get it to pass 50%. I covered the entire bottom of the bator with water and when that didn't raise it I also added a wet sponge.. Nothing. I'll never trust the digital read out again.. I might even go as far as covering the numbers with tape so I can't see them.. Just depending only on the 3 thermometer/hygrometers I put in there.

Did you candle them to look at the air cells? I'm afraid I was bad and opened mine too much but it seems to have worked out. I'm a little more worried about the shipped eggs.

Did you candle them to look at the air cells? I'm afraid I was bad and opened mine too much but it seems to have worked out. I'm a little more worried about the shipped eggs.
yes.. I candled them on day 7, 14 and 18. They appeared to be developing well through day 14.. When I candles on day 18 at lock down they didn't appear to be any more developed than day 14.. At that point I lost hope.. I left all 12 eggs in until day 25 and then gave up... It was a major dissapointment. $30 for a dozen eggs. Just thrown away. I think opening the bator is okay as long as you don't do it often. I've seen people that open it every day to candle and have a good hatch rate.. With shipped eggs I've read that the average hatch rate is like 50% automatically because of the length of time between being layer and delivered to your door. Also, the delivery people are not always cautious of what they are handling. Also, you should let them set at room temp for another 24 hours after you get them to let them settle. I did all that.. I don't think it was the eggs. I blame it on the inaccurate digital read out on the bator.

Thank you so much for posting about this incubator! I've put mine on today for a test run. Couldn't figure it out at all until I read this post it's running perfectly at 37.5 on the incubator and on my digital meter, but the humidity is reading 57% on the meter I've got inside. I've changed the amount of water down to literally a tiny drop in the bottom and it's stayed at 57% for the past 2 hrs! Is that ok or is it too high? Won't be putting anything in for a few days yet just waiting to collect a few more!

I was just trying it out nothing in there yet. Just attempting to get the settings right first. I'll maybe try with a tiny amount of water in a bowl instead of putting it in the tray. That was what someone else suggested about these incubators! I know I can get it a lot higher when it comes to the last three days!

So here is the thread I started on the Janoel incubator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/951784/janoel-incubation-experience/200#post_15027097

You will find pictures of what all of us have done with our Janoel incubators. I am doing some modifications today to get better heat stability. Lots of great info and problem solving going on. as well as success stories!

I have had trouble NOT with getting humidity up, but rather keeping it in the right place. My model has so much room for surface water it can spike to 90 if I don't fill it correctly. You may need to insulate for better heating.

That's fab thank you. I've currently got it on with some eggs in it. It's running on 37.5°c and humidity is 36%. I've been playing around with it all day before i was confident to put the eggs in. I've found that putting a drop of water in a pot at the bottom keeps the humidity low rather than putting in straight into the bottom of the incubator. But that's what I'll do on lock down day! Excited
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom