does anyone ever get used to killing and eating their birds

Quote:
I tried that once and wasn't happy with how he was treated at the end. And he was horrified being driven off in their truck. I definitely didn't feel good about that option. I'm still haunted by the memory of that rooster. Yesterday, I removed the boys from the coop early in the morning. It almost seemed like business as usual. However, this time I took them to the chopping block, calmly and quietly. They didn't struggle, didn't make a sound. I don't believe anyone but the horses even had a clue what was going on. In the grand scheme of things, I feel the least conflicted about how I did things yesterday.

I see where you are coming from booker and I agree with Barn Goddess (great name by the way) as I was worried about that too. Yes, I could put them up on CL for somebody to come and take them but I guess my biggest fear is what their last moments will be like. Will the person be caring enough to end their suffering quickly? Will they be used to train somebody’s fighting dog (yes, we do have people like that in the region), will they end up as fighting birds (we have those kinds of people too)?

So while I absolutely hate the idea of wasting meat (I hate the idea of wasting any food) I feel that knowing that their end was quick and use them for fertilizer makes me feel better than giving them to somebody that could do God knows what to these animals. I wish I had somebody I could trust would do it but all the people around us are “city folk” and don’t want anything to do with the process, just want the end product. I do have a friend who trains police dogs so maybe I might end up giving him a carcass to feed to his dogs as he swears by raw meat. That might make me feel a little bit better.

We live in a society that is so far removed from farming and raising animals for a purpose, that we are going to struggle with it. Trying to compare ourselves to past generations and saying "well, they did it" is kind of inaccurate and certainly an unfair comparison. The mindset was completely different then. EVERYBODY raised chickens then, it was accepted that they would become food after they stopped laying or growing. We have moved away from self sufficiency and made the disconnect from raising animals for a purpose and like it or not, we have become sensitized to animal slaughter.

This not however, something that cannot be overcome. We just need to make a conscious effort to walk ourselves through it. As a side note, it DOES get a "little" easier as time goes on. Especially if you raise the Cornish type meat birds. Their only around for a short time, have a clear purpose and do not have the "cute&fuzzy" personality that makes the decision difficult. Plus, usually the mess they generate (meaties) while growing, makes you look forward to the "day".

So dont beat yourself up, but realize that your trying to change who you are as a person and learn new skills and perspectives.
wink.png

Me & My Peeps :

We live in a society that is so far removed from farming and raising animals for a purpose, that we are going to struggle with it. Trying to compare ourselves to past generations and saying "well, they did it" is kind of inaccurate and certainly an unfair comparison. The mindset was completely different then. EVERYBODY raised chickens then, it was accepted that they would become food after they stopped laying or growing. We have moved away from self sufficiency and made the disconnect from raising animals for a purpose and like it or not, we have become sensitized to animal slaughter.

This not however, something that cannot be overcome. We just need to make a conscious effort to walk ourselves through it. As a side note, it DOES get a "little" easier as time goes on. Especially if you raise the Cornish type meat birds. Their only around for a short time, have a clear purpose and do not have the "cute&fuzzy" personality that makes the decision difficult. Plus, usually the mess they generate (meaties) while growing, makes you look forward to the "day".

So dont beat yourself up, but realize that your trying to change who you are as a person and learn new skills and perspectives.
wink.png

Very well said. Thank you!​

Quote:
This is the same reassurance I supply to folks who give me their unwanted roos. My birds receive gentle handling and hear soothing voices right up to the end, they're dispatched outdoors in the fresh air & sunshine, surrounded by birdsong and the sounds of my other poultry. They have no idea that they're going to Cross The Road until they go.

I can honestly say that right after we processed last year I think we took a whole week before we ate any chicken. After that it had all worn off and we were able to eat our meaties okay. Especially the kids had a hard time because they had helped with chores and everything so they felt that we were being mean. My way of dealing with it was to remind myself what all the chickens that are at the grocery store have to go through before they are processed as far as living conditions and treatment. My birdies do become food but up until they do we love and take care of them and they have room to play and be chickens. That's what makes it worthwhile for me, knowing that they had a great life before they became chicken.

I have what's left of Col. Brandon simmering on the stove right now - making stock. The house smells fabulous! I am determined to put him to good use so what was left after roasting is now on the stove. So I guess I'm getting used to killing and eating my birds. The part I'm having trouble getting used to is the silence outside. It seems so strange without constant rooster chatter.

Can't say I have a problem eating them after all that is why we raise them, for meat and eggs. My personal version of the acronym PETA means People Eating Tasty Animals. I am glad that I can be more self sustaining and that my animals are always treated right and humanely butchered. I think I am more squeamish about eating meat that we have purchased as we don't know what it was fed or how many antibiotics it was given.

I am planning on hatching some eggs if I get a broody the rooster will become supper. I already have my mom coming over to show us how to pluck and gut them. I can't wait to try a chicken that we have raised with good food free ranged sunshine taste compared to store chicken.

Back
Top Bottom