Does anyone have a favorite brand or type of knife they use for culling?

Mahlzeit

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Long Island NY
I am planning on getting some meat birds this spring and would like to know if anyone has any preferences on the brand or types of knives they use. I've processed my layers before but on a small scale. So I was wondering if there are particular knives that work better and stay sharp longer for you. Thanks for any future input.

I have a meat processing kit that was designed for wild game, and it has a butcher knife that I sharpen and use each time. But I only process 6-8 birds max at a time. Some folks use box cutters since they can change out the blades, and other use a scalpel. The main thing is that is be very sharp. I am sure some people have a specific brand that they can recommend to you.

Thanks for the response. I had an issue a while back with a knife that felt sharp enough but wasn't. That's why I'm wondering what everybody's go to knife is.

I used a razor knife the first time thinking I could just change blades to keep it sharp. Big mistake. The blade wasn't strong or sharp enough and I had a few regrettable slow deaths. It never bothers me that I harvest a chicken, even pets. It only bothers me when there's more than a blink of an eye between life and death.

Get a good skinning knife. I have a CS Master Hunter VG-1 San Mai iii. My neighbor uses a Buck 103. The reason I like the Cold Steel one is the sandwiched steel. I can do 45 chickens in one day without needing a sharpening. Skinning knives are the best blade styles for processing poultry. Hunting knives work as well. Get a boning knife if you like deboning them (i never do).

I use the same knife for kill, cut, and cleave. A good, strong steel will hold it's edge all day even using it to halve the birds (cutting bone).

One other less expensive suggestion I've heard from another neighbor is the victorinox forschner.

Good luck.

I use a razor knife called the Pyranta Edge by Havalon. It costs about 40 dollars but it works very well for chickens and turkeys. It comes with 13 blades originally and you can get more replacement blades to go with it. I have used it 2 years and still have 6 blades left. I change the blades more to be sure that they will be sharp than because they need it. Usually the blades are still fine and don't really need to be changed but I change it after 50 or so birds just to be on the safe side.

Can't recommend this knife enough for culling and for the actual processing when you have to do it. That plus kill cones makes the process so much easier in my opinion.

Edited because I can't type worth beans this morning.

Last edited:
I use a razor knife called the Pyranta Edge by Havalon. It costs about 40 dollars but it works very well for chickens and turkeys. It comes with 13 blades originally and you can get more replacement blades to go with it. I have used it 2 years and still have 6 blades left. I change the blades more to be sure that they will be sharp than because they need it. Usually the blades are still fine and don't really need to be changed but I change it after 50 or so birds just to be on the safe side.

Can't recommend this knife enough for culling and for the actual processing when you have to do it. That plus kill cones makes the process so much easier in my opinion.

Edited because I can't type worth beans this morning.
Never heard of that knife before. You use it for both the culling and processing? I was a little wary about the razor knives. You've never had one bend, break or fall off while doing the deed? I just looked it up and you definitely can't go wrong with the price.

Never heard of that knife before. You use it for both the culling and processing? I was a little wary about the razor knives. You've never had one bend, break or fall off while doing the deed? I just looked it up and you definitely can't go wrong with the price.
I have never had a lick of problems with it. The blade is flexible but stiff enough it doesn't bend or break. It locks into position onto the knife when you put it on and then when you are ready to take it off I use a pair of pliers to take it off so I don't risk cutting myself. I have done hundreds of birds with it and plus two sets of turkeys and it's still going strong. It's a great little knife. I am going to order a few more just to have them for the other people who process with me when they come because I would rather have them use something sharp than take the risk that they cause extra suffering with a dull knife.

I use the Havalon Piranta Edge, which can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...havalon piranta edge&sprefix=piranta+,aps,333. It is not a razor knife (or at least not what I think of as a razor knife), it is a skinning knife with replaceable blades. It is pretty nimble, and has a good grip, even when it is greasy. I use it for everything but cutting through bones and joints on my chickens. It is not cheap, but it is well designed for this kind of work and seems durable enough that I expect to be using it for years to come. It slices cleanly and quickly for the kill, and makes gutting pretty easy because it cuts through the skin and membranes easily, so there is less sawing and stabbing. I like that it folds down, so you don't have a razor sharp blade hunting for fingers to cut and getting dull when it is not in use.

http://knives.dexter1818.com/shop/sani-safe/poultry-knives/ep154hg.html

This is what I use to slice the neck and use another one just like it for processing. Hi visibility color and great grip.
Love it.
Another nice looking choice. I'm glad people are responding to this thread. I'd rather have a lot of great options that work to choose from than just guess and have another mishap. Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom