Does anyone have bat houses?

I'M NOT GOIN IN NO CAVE FOR POO OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!! I will buy it
lol.png

Guano usually won't attract bats.

Bat houses mounted on a building (like a barn) or on a chimney will attract them better than those on poles. They also need to be a minimum of 15' off the ground. Near a water source will also help. But it's mostly time. When a colony gets too big for it's home, some will leave and start a new colony. It's mostly luck for a scouting party to find your bat house. Our first wasn't occupied for 3 years.

Mine live on the gable end of my house near the woods. How we found this out was My DH and I were painting our house a few yrs. ago and he was doing the high work, when he got ready to start painting the gables one hissed at him and scared him so much he almost fell off the ladder. We have a lot of mosquitoes around here as we are surrounded by woods and have a creek that runs through the back of our property, hey if they keep the mosquito population down they are welcome to stay.

Thanks for the great information. Definitely gonna get a few. I think the shop building is tall enough.

If you want skeeter control, try Muscovy ducks, I have seen a big difference since we got out ducks!

I am seriously thinking of checking my ordinances on keeping a little duck inmy yard, lol!! I have a little pond already, haha!!

Laura,that bat hissing thing surprised me, didn't realize they would defend themselves like that nad not just fly away. Glad Jeff didn't fall of that ladder or we would've had to call him batman forever!
lau.gif

I have one behind my property - it's my neighbor's bat house. And it is painted black, but you would think the paint smell would keep them away?

Back
Top Bottom