Does anyone have trios?

It isn't normal but it happens occasionally. Usually when there is no choice (more hens than cocks). I have a trio that has been going on for over a year. He mates with two hens, who's nests are one right below the other. He has taken a liking to the red check hen lately rather than his original blue grizzle mate (they were mated before the RC came into the picture). Both hens lay eggs and hatch them out. Like I said, this year he decided to help the RC and leave the grizzle to fend for herself. But she has managed to hatch out two clutches and raise them herself. They were stunted, but filled out after they were weaned. I don't know if he ever helps incubate or feed her eggs/babies, but I know I never see him do it. He gives his attention to the RC.
The RC took forever to come home today from a crappy toss at 5 miles (I suspect they got busted up by hawks as I had groups coming in throughout the day). So he was giving all his attention to the grizzle today. I'm assuming the other hen is back now but I didn't check before dark. I have an extra cockbird in the loft so I'm hoping to get the red mated to him and break up the trio. It just isn't healthy for the "third wheel".

I have also had a case of two cockbirds sharing one hen. All 3 sat on the nest. That was 3 years ago though, haha.

In doves, they seem to be more friendly. I have at LEAST two trios going on. I am short about 4 or 5 hens. So for my doves, it's two cocks, one hen. They all share nest duty. I often find both males sitting on the nest at the same time (such a cute sight!). I also watched the doves flirting in the aviary the other day and saw pretty much all of my males preening each other and "mating", LOL. One big happy family
gig.gif
:

Last edited:
Lol, well i'd love for my two yellow rollers to mate but my hen roller is in love with my cock homer. So idk. Hopefully she goes for him. I also just got a new brown looking hen from my uncle and she doesn't have a mate so shes in the same kennel as the two rollers.

I had two roller hens that I wanted to breed to a favorite cock. I put a hen in each breeding cage out of sight from each other. Each day I switched the cock from one cage to the other. He mated with both and fulfilled his responsibilites for nesting and rearing the young. You may wish to try that sometime.

We had 2 hens and 1 male roller pigeons a few years ago after the rats and hawks had their way with them. Both hens laid eggs in the same nest. 3 of the 4 eggs hatched and the male helped with sitting and feeding duties like normal. If memory serves though, 1 of the females took over hatching and raising the babies and wouldn't let the other hen around.

Back
Top Bottom