HELP- Starting a breeding project for Mottle Silkies, advice needed on creating breeeing groups

MissMottle

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
Hi All.
I've just rejoined this great community after many years away.

I am in Australia

My project is Mottle Silkies and Satins in blue/black and chocolate/mauve. I have to start from scratch.

Breeds I have (or am able to acquire will be marked with ☆)

Chocolate Pekin breeding trio.

Black Mottle Pekins, two unrelated breeding trios.

White bearded silkie hen (no idea what she's masking never hatched anything from her)
Blue Splash hen
Blue trio
Black group four hens and one cock bird.

Black large Cochin hens x's2

☆Mottle Brahma

I would like to use the cochin or brahma for size as Pekins obviously are a bantam breed and Silkies are getting to small here.

What is the most sensible way breed them. I can do AI no worries. I don't have the space for hundreds of chickens. This needs to be small scale.

Thank you!

To get black satins you would cross black silkie to black cochin then cross back to black silkie then continue until you have the desired features

Mottles in black /blue 😊
Oh. Ok now I get it. I think black mottled pekin cross black silkie would result in some offspring being mottled. Maybe if you crossed the black mottled silkens to the black silkies it would create some black mottled satins

Oh. Ok now I get it. I think black mottled pekin cross black silkie would result in some offspring being mottled. Maybe if you crossed the black mottled silkens to the black silkies it would create some black mottled satins
Mottle is recessive, meaning it needs two copies on the one bird to be seen so with the first cross of a mottle over a silkie for example all chicks will be black and carry a mottle gene that you cant see.
If I then cross those babies together 25% will be mottled, 25% won't carry a copy at all and the other 50% will have one gene. The same percentages will be true for the silkie feather gene. So that gives me a 12.5% chance of each F2 chicken being both mottle and silkied feathered

Mottle is recessive, meaning it needs two copies on the one bird to be seen so with the first cross of a mottle over a silkie for example all chicks will be black and carry a mottle gene that you cant see.
If I then cross those babies together 25% will be mottled, 25% won't carry a copy at all and the other 50% will have one gene. The same percentages will be true for the silkie feather gene. So that gives me a 12.5% chance of each F2 chicken being both mottle and silkied feathered
This is complicated

Back
Top Bottom