Does anyone know what breed this is?

TwinsLoveChicks

Songster
Mar 10, 2016
At the coop
My Coop
My Coop
Here are some pictures of my hen River. She was my very first chicken and she passed away not to long ago, and I really miss her. I have always wanted to know what breed she was. Can anyone tell me? She was very sweet and laid medium/small light brown, almost cream eggs. She never got very big either and didn't like to be held that much. I thought that she might be a Welsummer, but her egg color didn't match up and all the pictures of Welsummer hens that I've ever seen are much darker than she was.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not a welsummer, are you sure about her egg color, she reminds me of a Marsh Daisy, where are you from?

Yes, I am sure about her egg color. I didn't think she was a Welsummer but I had to check. I haven't ever heard of a Marsh Daisy.
idunno.gif
Is it possible that you could post a picture of one?

She is probably a mix, perhaps brown leghorn mixed with Americana. Was she supposed to be a purebred? Marsh Daisy are mostly seen in England.

I have considered the fact that she might be a mix. I don't think that she had any Americauna in her though, because she didn't have any puff on her cheeks whatsoever. I'm in the U.S., so she probably isn't a Marsh Daisy. The people at the feed store where I got her had a chicken coop behind the store and gave me two hens and two chicks. One of the chicks was River. Do you think that she could be part Jungle Fowl?
idunno.gif

Thank you!

There's a few breeds that she could be mixed with, it's obvious she has a blue breed in her background, it could be game, she was very pretty, I can see why you'd want to know, I'm afraid all I have is guesses, she could be welsummer and Andalusian, I could come up with a few more, do you know at least what her mom looked like?

Sadly, I don't know what her mother or her father looked like. The man at the feed store just put two hens and two chicks into some boxes and said that one of the hens was a really good layer. River was one of the chicks. It is possible that River could have had Andalusian or something like that in her because one of the other hens that he gave me, Lucy, looks a lot liked one but she doesn't have white earlobes, as you can see. Also, she lays dark olive colored eggs, and she has gotten broody several times. Here is a picture of her.

Lucy

Thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom