OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
I got three chicks to add to my flock and got two from an assorted rare breed brooder so I have an idea what they might be but still have no clue which one they exactly are. Does anyone have any idea from the list? I was able to figure out a little bit on my own through process of elimination but there’s still a lot of possibilities leftover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 7AF4EBF7-ED9E-4A1E-A7BB-575EB5BFE214.jpeg
    7AF4EBF7-ED9E-4A1E-A7BB-575EB5BFE214.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 4
I got three chicks to add to my flock and got two from an assorted rare breed brooder so I have an idea what they might be but still have no clue which one they exactly are. Does anyone have any idea from the list? I was able to figure out a little bit on my own through process of elimination but there’s still a lot of possibilities leftover.
I'm not sure but in the second photo the chick's feathers are kinda curly. Do any have 5 toes? They are super adorable.

I think there either a welsummer or welsummer mix reminds my of on of my baby chicks I had

Yup definitely a wellsumer or a wellsumer x, they are beautiful as ive raised some before

Yup definitely a wellsumer or a wellsumer x, they are beautiful as ive raised some before
I think you might be right on the wellsummer!!! None are supposed to crossed at all though but the one thing I noticed on the second chick despite different coloration was a different comb too.

I'm not sure but in the second photo the chick's feathers are kinda curly. Do any have 5 toes? They are super adorable.
Thank you ☺️ and No extra toes but the second one does have a different comb than the first and the feathers seem normal. They’re all just kinda going though the weird stage where they’re loosing the baby fluff. lol

the second one does have a different comb than the first
Welsummer would have a single comb. That's the kind of narrow comb that stands up, and looks like you could comb your hair with it. Any chick with another comb type can NOT be a Welsummer.

Many chickens that lay blue or green eggs have pea combs. Sometimes their pea combs are little and tidy (like Ameraucanas have), while others are big and blobby (if the hatchery has been mixing breeds.)

If the chick turns out to have a pea comb, it will probably lay blue or green eggs. (Brahmas are on the list, have pea combs, and lay brown eggs-- but none of the chicks in the photos look Brahmas.)

Olive Egger, as in CCLB x Welsummer or something similar.
A chick from that crossing would have a single comb and stripey down, just like both parent breeds have (and yes, would lay olive eggs.) So that is another possibility for a chick with a single comb, but not for a chick with any other comb type.

Back
Top Bottom