Does every ebay seller charge outrageous shipping?!?!?!??

I see people post about shipping costs a lot and don't say anything but here is my .02. I understand that there is time and materials involved with shipping eggs but I think that cost should be integrated into the price of the eggs rather than charging a higher shipping charge. I think most people just tend to get upset when they see that the actual cost to ship which is printed on the label is say $10 but the seller charged them say $20. It leads to people getting upset and I just think it would be easier to charge a dollar more per egg or something like that and charge the actual shipping and then everyone would be happy!! Like I said that's just my .02!!

I think we had another thread that was just like this not so long ago- I just want to say that I do charge $6 more for a second dozen, because I ship in specially-cut foam that costs me a lot, and they can't be combined in one box, because they are cut for the 7x7x6 box. Taping the boxes together simply increases the velocity of the impacts the box takes during shipping, so they must be separate or I have to buy a box that fits 2 small priority boxes...and that's money and time spent re-working a system that I like just fine!

I don't sell on ebay anymore, really (thank you, Nifty!), but when I do list there, I charge actual shipping + foam ($5.50 per dozen) and $1 for my other supplies (gas, tape, markers, etc.). I figure if someone doesn't want to pay it, they can shop elsewhere. My costs are disclosed up front. I choose to use the foam, and it decreases the eggs' shipping damage probability as well as the shipping weight (smaller carbon footprint!) and packing time. We all know how long it takes to pack in bubble wrap, and my time is worth something, so I choose to keep my time and pass those costs on using foam.

I love selling eggs, love my buyers, love chickens, but don't do this purely as a good deed. I will be profiting from my eggs less if I don't carefully manage my time and supplies. I don't feel badly about charging for it, either! No one should be made to feel guilty for making fee choices- who cares if it's up front and described as shipping and handling or whether it's tucked into a higher starting bid? The buyer should simply evaluate on the final cost and not make judgments on how a seller chooses to describe their proposed pricing. It's still the same, either way. The final price is what it is, and one should make choices regarding those costs PRIOR to bidding.

I'll admit I got mad about it before I was selling eggs...but I get it much more clearly now.

Quote:
I agree that one should definitely weigh all the costs before buying and don't buy if you don't like the price!! I guess common sense would tell one to look at the price of the eggs and the shipping cost and decide from there but you know people don't always do that. They tend to just see the actual price and the charged price and sometime forget to think about all that goes into it. I would think with the price of gas that you would charge more than $1 for supplies!! That actually seems a little low. Maybe your lucky enough to live somewhere where gas prices haven't shot through roof???? If so I wanna move there!!!!

When I sell eggs I charge a flat $15 per box. I averaged what postage and delivery confirmation cost me per box last year or the year before and it was between $13 & $14 dollars. Sometimes it's as high as almost $17. That doesn't include any costs for my bubble wrap, tape, etc or milage for taking them to the PO which is a 20 mile round trip for me.

I post my shipping cost on any auction I have and if someone thinks it's too high, then they aren't required to bid.....it's their choice.

Quote:
How far back did you have to dig for this thread??? It's almost 2 years old!!
lol.png

Yep, it's too be expected that old stuff gets resurrected, especially pertinent to the economy!!

I am VERY lucky to live 1.5 miles from the PO and gas is 'only' $3.87 a gallon right now...
roll.png

I'm starting to think very seriously about digging out my bike with the big basket on the front and make myself ride anywhere less than 2 miles. I need to shave some off my rump, anyhow.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom