Does it stand a chance?

LittlePygmyFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2015
Tx
Hi, I nave 2 broody bantams that have been sharing a nest for awhile now. I dont even know how long but at least 2 weeks. Anyways today I went out and they had knocked an egg out of the nest, and it was all broken up. Cracked in many spots but in tact and the membrane completely in tact still. I could see movement so I stuck it in the incubator with my guinea eggs. Do you think it would have any chance? Should I put it back under the hen? Its been several hours and I still see movement but no chirping. I also moved one hen to a seperate pen where she gladly adopted 4, 3 week old chicks :). I tried moving the nest about 2 weeks ago to a lower spot and they would not sit on it.

What have you got to loose? I'd hit the cracks with some gorilla glue or nail polish. I'd leave it in the bator. Little quieter there. If it hatches, give it back to one of the hens.

O it's not just cracks it's completely missing pieces of shell in places. I mean, I'm amazed it stayed together when I picked it up lol. It's cracked and broken all around the whole egg but just barely holding together. I'll leave it in the bator but will the humidity be ok? It's ranging between 35-45% as I still have 3 weeks till my guineas hatch.

I checked it all around though and nothing is leaking out and the membrane looks to be still closed up with no holes.

That might be tricky. Since there is no she'll to.protect it I'm afraid the membrane may dry up really fast. I'm not expert but that one may be tough. Try though keep a close eye on. Let us know how.it goes!

Someone posted a couple of weeks ago about a similar situation. Took a piece of shell and glued it over the part that was missing. Chick hatched. It sounds like you are missing a significant amount of the shell but might be worth a try. Sterilize the shell first.

I used Neosporin last year to treat a similar issue. It was just a couple days before hatch, though.

The petroleum jelly sealed the membrane from moisture transfer, and the antibiotic prevented infection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom