Does location influence feed

May 12, 2019
Oregon
I am In Oregon’s Willamette Valley. Curious what others are feeding here in the PNW. Okay curious what everyone feeds but really interested in what others in my area choose for happy healthy flocks.

1- what’s your main food?
2- do you use supplements/which ones?
3- treats ?

Always learning - excited to grow in my journey

We are using Payback also as it was recommended by the lovely woman at the feed store. We also offer black fly larvae, mealworms from China. I can’t bring myself to grow my own. An herb mix from online that I am growing the plants of to copy. And that’s all. Plus grit in different sizes and oyster shell for my grown up hen.

My quail get game bird feed.

I live in the Puget Sound area and feed an all flock ration with oyster shell and grit free choice. Pellets are free choice and I ferment some of them as a treat. I think it's a local house brand from Cenex. They are doing well so far and eat it with gusto. For training purposes, (bribing them to come into the coop or back in the run lol) I keep mealworms mixed with scratch in a repurposed plastic mayonnaise jar that I can shake to get their attention. They have access to pasture all year and the vegetable garden over the winter.

I used to give them kitchen scraps but right now I'm bribing a pair of crows who have a nest nearby. They get the kitchen scraps and keep the hawks, owls and eagles away. I may regret starting that...I have clamshells on all the rooftops and sidewalks, mystery guts on the garage roof...:barnie

right now I'm bribing a pair of crows who have a nest nearby. They get the kitchen scraps and keep the hawks, owls and eagles away. I may regret starting that...I have clamshells on all the rooftops and sidewalks, mystery guts on the garage roof...:barnie

There's pros and cons to "bribing" crows - the ones around my area chased off a pair of eagles before, but they've also walked into my garage and dragged out everything from bags of fertilizer to small gardening items like wire ties. Also saw a pair of crows hunt down a baby rabbit in front of my living room - while I welcome anything that keeps our rabbit population in check they end up leaving rabbit pieces around, yuck!

There's pros and cons to "bribing" crows - the ones around my area chased off a pair of eagles before, but they've also walked into my garage and dragged out everything from bags of fertilizer to small gardening items like wire ties. Also saw a pair of crows hunt down a baby rabbit in front of my living room - while I welcome anything that keeps our rabbit population in check they end up leaving rabbit pieces around, yuck!
Keep us posted in how this goes

Yes I'm hoping they don't figure out how to get under the netting and start stealing eggs. I think when their young have fledged they will be off, that's what happened last year.

Sorry I'm laughing at the thought of the crows dragging all your stuff out of the garage! I know it wasn't funny but it sure does make a good story!

Sorry I'm laughing at the thought of the crows dragging all your stuff out of the garage! I know it wasn't funny but it sure does make a good story!

Thankfully I was able to break them of that habit (I kept the garage door shut for about a week instead of leaving it open like usual, and used a side door for access while gardening) but it really was confusing at first because the first day they dragged out about half a dozen items and just left them on the driveway, and I was stumped at who was playing a prank on me! It wasn't until I caught one in the act that I figured it out. They really LOVED a mostly empty bag of fertilizer I had, guess the bright pink color was very attractive to them.

Thankfully I was able to break them of that habit (I kept the garage door shut for about a week instead of leaving it open like usual, and used a side door for access while gardening) but it really was confusing at first because the first day they dragged out about half a dozen items and just left them on the driveway, and I was stumped at who was playing a prank on me! It wasn't until I caught one in the act that I figured it out. They really LOVED a mostly empty bag of fertilizer I had, guess the bright pink color was very attractive to them.
:lau And maybe it smelled a little like fish or something!

Back
Top Bottom