Does long term broodiness cause health problems for older hens?

Hi friends,

Today was a very tragic day -- I lost a senior hen and a beautiful 22 week old cockerel within 12 hours of each other. I love my chickens and feel very heavy hearted.

My question here relates to the hen who died suddenly and quickly this morning.

Can flabbiness from too much brooding lead to death?

The hen's name was Cherie. She was about 4 years old and had always been the most independent and feral of my hens. She never acclimated to being picked up and always made a flapping, fighting fuss when I would be able to snatch her for a foot or mite inspection. And she was broody very often, up to six times per year. Believe me, I often tried to break her broodiness because we didn't have a rooster for about two years and she would sit there for a month, eggs or no eggs. But she would literally almost kill herself trying to break and escape whatever kind of broody cage I made -- wood, metal, plastic mesh, it didn't matter, she would peck and flap until she was bloodying and hurting herself and I had to let her out and sit until she was done sitting.

I love my chickens and am extremely patient with them. I treat treatable illnesses, take out bumblefoot abscesses, and do my very best to give them a good life. But this one was not easy.

Finally, I had the time and resources to build a bigger coop and separate run for chicks. I got a few fertile eggs from a neighbor and Cherie sat on them, and hatched her first "kids" in two years -- two cockerels. Cherie was a good mama to them, protective and seemed very content, finally. But about six weeks ago when she went back to laying, her eggs were weak shelled with a band around the middle. Afraid that they could break inside her and cause EYP, I started giving her supplemental calcium (via a treat with a crushed calcium tablet inside). I give my hens layer feed, probiotics periodically, and plenty of access to sunshine and forage. Her eggs did not improve with the calcium. This morning she just fell over and died of what I'm thinking was EYP or heart or organ failure, mostly because I can rule out other common causes.

Prior to her sudden death, her comb and wattles were a healthy red. She was not lethargic and she was eating normally. The flock had been recently dewormed. She had no respiratory distress or eye discharge. I examined the body externally and her crop was neither impacted nor sour, and she wasn't eggbound. She died within seconds of falling over, and at least I can know she didn't suffer.

But one thing I had noticed about Cherie over the past year or so (when I could grab her for inspection) was that her body was very flabby and loose feeling. She felt, well, really out of shape, from so much sitting I suppose. Not like she was gooshy with water belly, just really soft and flabby all over, like her muscles had atrophied. Her crop verged on what I would call pendulous in the afternoons after two feeds, but it would always be flat by morning.

I have two other hens the same age and they have much firmer physiques.

Can flabbiness from too much brooding lead to death?

I'm relating all this history and asking because Im thinking about my two 1.5 year old hens who go broody every few months. One is sitting on eggs right now. I don't want a huge flock, a dozen would be the limit, right now I'm down to six so I can let them hatch some chicks but I'd have to limit at some point. I don't want these two girls to lose condition from brooding too often for too long -- if that's what happened to Cherie.

Should I be more resolute in breaking them from brooding frequently?

And so sadly, this evening when the flock went to the coop, I went over to check on them and say goodnight like I always do. Paco, one of Cherie's cockerels was missing. He had emerged as the faster maturing cockerel and was already crowing and mating, a beautiful and spirited little fellow. My husband and I started looking for him and found his drowned body floating in a small fishpond on our property. In five years, we've never had a chicken fall into that pond. It's been a very very sad day.

IMG_20230325_192640.jpg

Cheri and her cockerels, Lucio, and Paco.

I don't have ready answers to your questions. But will offer my opinions.
I have been keeping chickens well over 20+ years now. They are my pets, but I let them live chicken lives. Some do go broody, (I have no rooster) and I just let them do as they please. I never tried to break a broody. I did remove from nest, and offered food and water to them. (each day) They ate, and returned to nest. An empty one, BTW since I removed all eggs daily. Eventually they gave up. :thumbsup
Chickens can die from numerous things, and those things are not exactly all preventable. Also, such things are hard to detect, and chicken reaches Rainbow Bridge,, before we were able to do anything,,, if even possible.:hugs
Your Cockerel drowning,,, is certainly a mystery to me. Chickens generally do not go swimming of their own free will. Maybe a predator was chasing him, or maybe dragged him into water. :idunno

Not really sure what breed your chickens are. If they are Heritage breeds,, then those chickens do live longer lives. If they are production type, or sex-links,, then such chickens produce many eggs in a shorter lifetime. 4 to 5 years is consider a full life for those.

I have a RIR hen that is 11 years old currently. Last year she laid only about 10 eggs all year. She is a pet,,, so will live until she goes to the Rainbow Bridge naturally. All my chickens live long lives. My longest was 13. Keep in mind that I never interfered with their broodiness,,, aside taking off nest and making sure they ate daily.

Hope this helps calm your feelings,, that you did everything good, for your chickens:love

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I don't have obvious answers either, but what cavemanrich says makes sense to me and fits with my experience.

I suspect Paco had not been there long if he was floating (their feathers are not waterproof so they sink once really wet); if the hen has been incubating some illness that killed her, any chicks she was brooding will have got a heavy dose. I would watch her other chick closely.

I can add that have a hen who was 5 last month and she's gone broody at least 3 times a year every year since she matured; sometimes she's sat and raised chicks, sometimes I broke her (because someone else was already sitting and I haven't got the accommodation for more than 1 broody at a time). So I don't think Cherie's condition had to do with broodiness per se; maybe just her own personal physical constitution?

So sorry for your losses. I don’t think Cherie’s age was the problem. She probably got an infection. The strange band on the egg indicates that there was an infection/internal problem. Maybe it got fatal (only guessing). But it is not something you can prevent from happening other then keeping your flock healthy (like you do). Free ranging is very healthy for chickens.

Brooding so often, so long is not healthy imho. It can weaken a chicken. So yes its very good you check on lice and mite. Especially red mites can cause exhaustion and death.
Giving dewormers is not healthy. I wouldn’t do that unless you are sure there is a severe worm infestation.

I have no idea what might have happened to your young rooster. The only thing that would make sense is that he fel of the edge trying to drink or was chased as Perris suggested.

Over time I learned that having chickens means you have to deal with death once in a while. I had no death for many years and then several casualties in a few years time. Younger chickens dying and older ones surviving. One death by predators for sure, two vanished, one with an internal infection and one sudden death.
I try to see the advantage of it now. I have room for a few chicks and bought hatching eggs for my two broodies.

I don't have ready answers to your questions. But will offer my opinions.
I have been keeping chickens well over 20+ years now. They are my pets, but I let them live chicken lives. Some do go broody, (I have no rooster) and I just let them do as they please. I never tried to break a broody. I did remove from nest, and offered food and water to them. (each day) They ate, and returned to nest. An empty one, BTW since I removed all eggs daily. Eventually they gave up. :thumbsup
Chickens can die from numerous things, and those things are not exactly all preventable. Also, such things are hard to detect, and chicken reaches Rainbow Bridge,, before we were able to do anything,,, if even possible.:hugs
Your Cockerel drowning,,, is certainly a mystery to me. Chickens generally do not go swimming of their own free will. Maybe a predator was chasing him, or maybe dragged him into water. :idunno

Not really sure what breed your chickens are. If they are Heritage breeds,, then those chickens do live longer lives. If they are production type, or sex-links,, then such chickens produce many eggs in a shorter lifetime. 4 to 5 years is consider a full life for those.

I have a RIR hen that is 11 years old currently. Last year she laid only about 10 eggs all year. She is a pet,,, so will live until she goes to the Rainbow Bridge naturally. All my chickens live long lives. My longest was 13. Keep in mind that I never interfered with their broodiness,,, aside taking off nest and making sure they ate daily.

Hope this helps calm your feelings,, that you did everything good, for your chickens:love

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I know it's sort of useless to ask "why?" ...but such a difficult day. I'm mystified by the drowning as well. We don't have any predators around here that I know of except hawks. Our dogs keep everything else away and they were with me in the kitchen at the time Paco would have drowned.

I'm not sure what breeds my chickens are either. I think they are all farmyard mixes. I bought the original pullets and eggs for hatching from a neighbor. I live in a very rural area in Ecuador, South America, and the "village chickens" are probably all mixes of different colors and types. I don't think anyone is breeding certain breeds or keeping pure bloodlines -- except for the gamecocks. The big agricultural supply store in the largest town sells those Isa Browns. Ponedoras, they call them. Egg-makers. I know they don't live long and I don't buy them. Probably my neighbors stock is a smorgasbord of everything.

So maybe it was just her time. The thin shelled banded eggs definitely looked like she was having some reproductive issues.

I appreciate and value your experience and response. It's good to hear a variety of ways experienced keepers deal with broodiness.

Last edited:
So sorry for your losses. I don’t think Cherie’s age was the problem. She probably got an infection. The strange band on the egg indicates that there was an infection/internal problem. Maybe it got fatal (only guessing). But it is not something you can prevent from happening other then keeping your flock healthy (like you do). Free ranging is very healthy for chickens.

Brooding so often, so long is not healthy imho. It can weaken a chicken. So yes its very good you check on lice and mite. Especially red mites can cause exhaustion and death.
Giving dewormers is not healthy. I wouldn’t do that unless you are sure there is a severe worm infestation.

I have no idea what might have happened to your young rooster. The only thing that would make sense is that he fel of the edge trying to drink or was chased as Perris suggested.

Over time I learned that having chickens means you have to deal with death once in a while. I had no death for many years and then several casualties in a few years time. Younger chickens dying and older ones surviving. One death by predators for sure, two vanished, one with an internal infection and one sudden death.
I try to see the advantage of it now. I have room for a few chicks and bought hatching eggs for my two broodies.
Hi. Yes, thank you, I'm reaching for some positive side. Having two cockerels was probably going to be problematic (they were starting to fight and I was trying to figure out a way to best separate them without penning.) I have a lot of respect for Cheri's semi-feral nature, but her temperament was difficult. I hope that Lucio, the other cockerel, develops his confidence and grows into a stolid rooster now that dominant Paco sadly left us.

One of my broody younger hens is now sitting on 3 eggs Paco might have successfully fertilized. He was mating successfully with the two younger hens. So maybe his progeny will live on. I hope a lot of things, mainly that everyone else stays healthy.

Last edited:
I don't have obvious answers either, but what cavemanrich says makes sense to me and fits with my experience.

I suspect Paco had not been there long if he was floating (their feathers are not waterproof so they sink once really wet); if the hen has been incubating some illness that killed her, any chicks she was brooding will have got a heavy dose. I would watch her other chick closely.

I can add that have a hen who was 5 last month and she's gone broody at least 3 times a year every year since she matured; sometimes she's sat and raised chicks, sometimes I broke her (because someone else was already sitting and I haven't got the accommodation for more than 1 broody at a time). So I don't think Cherie's condition had to do with broodiness per se; maybe just her own personal physical constitution?
Thank you. Yes I thought about a transmissible infection between her and the cockerels. I'm hoping it was more of an internal reproductive issue that took her. I checked the poop of the other cockerel this morning, it's normal. I will definitely be watching him. I'm hoping he grows into a calm and capable rooster for my hens.

Back
Top Bottom