Does the post office x-ray? answer.....

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
This was cut and pasted from here http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={60a261b0-5395-11dd-6d36-000000000000}&event=1&view

Is
mail X-rayed?
Some of the mail that is sent through the United States Postal Service will pass through an X-Ray machine. There are no specific guidelines as to what may or may not be x-rayed, though mail sent to or through larger cities is likely to pass through an X-Ray machine.

Note: Marking a mailpiece "Do Not X-Ray" will not forgo the X-Raying of a mailpiece, and may result in the item being considered suspicious

If you have additional questions about X-Raying of items, contact your local Post Office.

SO - If you go by this, markig do not x-ray seems to be worse off in the end. Since they use the term x-ray I will err on the side of caution....
If/when I ever ship - I will be marking FRAGILE and that's it. I am also going to suggest any sent be marked as such also, maybe see if the results are better

Krista

Something another person here did (and I also suggested) is to pack the box of eggs in front of a postal worker so that they can see that there's nothing in it of concern. The lady said that the box had some official looking stamps on it saying not to x-ray it, so I'm assuming it worked. Whatever the case, it's worth a shot!!!

I also asked a follow-up question of what type, if any, of radiation are our packages subject to. It says I will have a detailed response in 1-2 days. I will post the response.
Maybe this will help trouble shoot some of our hatching problems
hmm.png

Krista

I doubt that post office X-rays are the source of any hatching problems. Their machines are so low-dose that they won't even fog camera film.

I figured I would ask since it is brought up so frequently, doesn't hurt to ask
big_smile.png

I received a live plant in the mail. It had a big green sticker saying "Live Plant". I have ordered ladybugs before and their sticker said "live animal" . Maybe that is the best answer.

Back
Top Bottom