Does this cockerel have a split tail?? PICS PLEASE LOOK

mischke

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Loudon New Hampshire
I posted earlier in the Injury/Disease section with no response. I have a 10 week old Silver Cuckoo Maran (not show quality and probably not pure bred) I just noticed him not holding his tail upright a few days ago. I have been watching him and the bunch and no illness observed. I think I remember reading about a "split tail" somewhere. Is that what this is and is it an injury, illness, defect or just a behavior. Maybe I am wrong and he is a she but even still this tail is much lower than the girls'. Is there something I can do to help? None of our cockerels are crowing yet and he is the least aggressive and likely the bottom boy. Also that darker black girl is his sister and the same age. Any thoughts?
idunno.gif
Thanks
smile.png

Sister

Split Tail??

?

Even when not bending down still droopy
idunno.gif

have you checked for mites/ lice on him? It looks like he is missing some of the middle tails feathers, could they have been pulled out? If so It might have broke his tail

he looks fine to me. Young birds are constantly replacing feathers, and the fact that he isn't holding his tail up is probably because he is still developing.

You can see the feathers that will eventually fill the gap. He is just young and still developing, give him time.

I am more concerned about how droopy it looks. But if it doesn't look like anything to worry about I will just try to ignore it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom