does weather affect egg production

chick_magnet

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
I have some jersey giant. They are almost one now (hatched around late may last year). I went out two days ago and found some eggs and then some the following day. Now they are not laying anymore. I was wondering if the weather could affect them and make them to quit laying. the weather in TN has been inconsistent. it's feels like spring one day and the next it feels like winter. yesterday the temperature was record high of 82 degree.
Thanks

I don't know about other's, but I can tell you that our flock will slow down production when the weather changes dramatically. It's always temporary though.

Light is much more critical than weather. What might happen is if they stay in longer because of rain/snow/cold it would have the effect of simulating shorter daylength.

So basically, they have missed one day of laying? Is that right?

If that is correct, I wouldn't worry; my girls often have a day of rest
smile.png

My hens stop laying when the weather gets cold or miserable. It seems when they are happy they lay. They did get a bit of frostbite on their crowns and they stopped laying till it healed. Even the rooster stopped crowing till he felt better.

Back
Top Bottom