brzoz003

Hatching
Jun 30, 2023
Hi,

I wanted to share some information that hopefully another will find helpful if faced with a similar situation.

I had one of my pullets (6 mos old) attacked by a friends dog 3 weeks ago. It was an entirely avoidable situation and I learned my lesson the hard way :(
She suffered most of the damage to her back, with a patch of skin torn off, losing her tail feathers and some superficial bites/scratches under her wings.

I separated her from the flock inside in a pet kennel and fed her scrambled eggs, gelatin (canning gelatin) and plain greek yogurt, and chick saver electrolyte mixed in her water. I think her age played to her advantage. No sign of shock and she had a good appetite from the first day of recovery.
I trimmed the damaged feathers so they didn't get stuck in the wound and applied triple antibiotic and silver gel each day for 2 weeks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ615DW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Great product! it's anti-microbial too, since infection was my main concern.

I re-introduced her to the flock this week. I tried to put a chicken saddle on her to prevent picking, but she didn't want to wear it. Her feathers are coming back in and disguising the wound, so I haven't noticed any evidence of picking from the other flock members. I did apply some homemade blue kote, made of clear iodine and blue food coloring in a spray bottle. The wound has a good scab and shouldn't attract flies, but I am watching for any sign of that as well.

I wanted to thank other posters for sharing their advice- this forum was the first place I turned since this is the first injury issue I've had to deal with. I'm amazed at how well she healed!

Attachments

• 20230616_090137.jpg
    20230616_090137.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230630_074700.jpg
    20230630_074700.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 24
Antimicrobial silver wound gel?? I have this and one of my young hens got attacked by a dog lastnight. Looks similar to this wound. So far I have her separated and have put iodine on the wound. Haven't noticed yet if she has eaten or drank yet.
Wondering if I should treat with gel or more iodine?

Antimicrobial silver wound gel?? I have this and one of my young hens got attacked by a dog lastnight. Looks similar to this wound. So far I have her separated and have put iodine on the wound. Haven't noticed yet if she has eaten or drank yet.
Wondering if I should treat with gel or more iodine?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your hen and her injuries?

General care is to flush/clean the wounds, then apply an ointment (Triple antibiotic ointment or similar) to keep the wound moist. Iodine is o.k. if that's all you have. If you have a wound cream, usually that will be fine to use too.

You want to get her through shock, so do try to get her drinking. Electrolytes if you have them or you can give her sugar water (1tsp sugar to 1cup water) to give her a boost. Once she's drinking, offer food.

Hi,

I wanted to share some information that hopefully another will find helpful if faced with a similar situation.

I had one of my pullets (6 mos old) attacked by a friends dog 3 weeks ago. It was an entirely avoidable situation and I learned my lesson the hard way :(
She suffered most of the damage to her back, with a patch of skin torn off, losing her tail feathers and some superficial bites/scratches under her wings.

I separated her from the flock inside in a pet kennel and fed her scrambled eggs, gelatin (canning gelatin) and plain greek yogurt, and chick saver electrolyte mixed in her water. I think her age played to her advantage. No sign of shock and she had a good appetite from the first day of recovery.
I trimmed the damaged feathers so they didn't get stuck in the wound and applied triple antibiotic and silver gel each day for 2 weeks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ615DW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Great product! it's anti-microbial too, since infection was my main concern.

I re-introduced her to the flock this week. I tried to put a chicken saddle on her to prevent picking, but she didn't want to wear it. Her feathers are coming back in and disguising the wound, so I haven't noticed any evidence of picking from the other flock members. I did apply some homemade blue kote, made of clear iodine and blue food coloring in a spray bottle. The wound has a good scab and shouldn't attract flies, but I am watching for any sign of that as well.

I wanted to thank other posters for sharing their advice- this forum was the first place I turned since this is the first injury issue I've had to deal with. I'm amazed at how well she healed!
Can you tell me where you can find triple antibiotic? My story is very similar to yours and our hen is almost the same age. I have been researching to see what we can do for her. I am going to order the silver from Amazon

Can you tell me where you can find triple antibiotic? My story is very similar to yours and our hen is almost the same age. I have been researching to see what we can do for her. I am going to order the silver from Amazon

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of your hen and her wounds?
General care is to clean wounds with saline, Chlorhexidine, Povidone Iodine or warm soapy water. Once cleaned, you can apply Triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericyn or similar ointments.

If you have a Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc., you should be able to find these products in the first aid aisle. Generic/store brands can be used as well as name brand (like Original Neosporin).

1695440636594.png
1695440889978.png

1695440931717.png

Back
Top Bottom