Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

Kinnick's crop is empty this morning. He's 3.77 lbs. He hasn't had any food since the attack. Should I start him on scrambled eggs or chick crumbles? Or would regular pellets be ok?

Very alert today, he was standing up straight and chatty with me. He had overturned his water cup and was perched on top, so I'm going to try to get a roost for him. There are feather casings all over (he's having his juvie molt) so he's been preening also.

His wound looks ok to me, I'm not sure. The blukote tends to dry the wound, so it feels like there's a hard shell layer on top. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if this makes the healing process faster or slower.

That hard shell coating was how my friend's hen appeared also.

I would put 3 percent hydrogen peroxide on it clean it up put some triple antibiotic cream on it and rap him up with vet rap
Peroxide burns the skin. I did the test on myself when I had an abrasion and it stung!
Anytime on an animal the use of peroxide SHOULD be diluted. Beta Dyne is better.

My dog got a hold of the same chicken 3 times and it survived each time. The last time it was pretty bad, ripped her open just above the wing. We just isolated her and put Antibiotic ointment on it each day. She healed up in a few weeks. Surprisingly she kept laying the whole time.

The really unfortunate thing is about a month later we were checking on all the girls and she was missing. No trace of her at all. We suspect a hawk or eagle since there wasn't a single trace of a feather or anything anywhere in the yard. We were pretty bummed. First chicken we've lost from a predator in 2 years.

A small piece of information:
I choose iodine over chlorhexidine.
In teat dips for cows, iodine is more effective killing environmental bacteria.

Glad your chook is doing better. I love his laundry basket home. :D

My Miss Biddy went through a similar attack, and she is doing well now.
I put molasses and banana in her food and I swear it helped her.

Back
Top Bottom