Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

campingshaws

Enabler
7 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
Sorry in advance that I can't to a spoilers tag on my phone. This is not really an emergency because I've treated injuries like this before. Just wondering if this poor baby has any chance of recovery.

My dog who I thought was done killing chickens went on a murder spree. He killed three and piled their bodies in a neat stack, and wounded this guy.

He's pretty plucked, and right above the tail is just bare meat. He's in shock, too. Just totally limp. All I have tonight is saline wound spray and blu kote. I washed him out good but haven't applied anything because someone said the blukote burns wounds like this.

Any (gentle) advice is appreciated.

In the past I had a hen nearly skinned alive by a stray dog. I filled the sink with warm water, added enough bacitracin to make a weak tea color, and eased her into the warm water. She was very calm in the water, and the bacitracin/water was able to clean and disinfect the wounds I could see as well as any hidden ones. I did this two days in a row. Of course, you have to let her dry in a warm place so she won't get chilled. My girl earned her name - Hope - and two years later is happy, healthy, and laying eggs, even though her feathers never totally came back.

Oops! I meant Betadine, not bacitracin!

Last edited:
The safest least stressfully way to get fluids into a bird that's not drinking is to tube them. A six pound rooster probably needs at least 135 ml of fluids per day to stay hydrated.

-Kathy

That baby rooster is standing up in his box! I keep calling him a baby, but he's bigger than my full grown EE pullets. I can't remember how old he is...

I sprayed him (and me) down with blukote. He had pooped, but it was a weird texture. I'm going to find him a big box today. I put him in a tiny one last night and he burrowed in trying to hide. I tried to give him water, but he's not interested.

I would stick with water. I've heard of problems with oil. @casportpony has something in one of her threads warning about giving oil, if I remember correctly.

A small piece of information:
I choose iodine over chlorhexidine.
In teat dips for cows, iodine is more effective killing environmental bacteria.

Glad your chook is doing better. I love his laundry basket home. :D

My Miss Biddy went through a similar attack, and she is doing well now.
I put molasses and banana in her food and I swear it helped her.

A small piece of information:

I choose iodine over chlorhexidine.

In teat dips for cows, iodine is more effective killing environmental bacteria. 

Glad your chook is doing better. I love his laundry basket home.  :D

My Miss Biddy went through a similar attack, and she is doing well now. 

I put molasses and banana in her food and I swear it helped her. 

Read this:
http://icvts.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/6/1017.full?sid=6972cd17-3c59-4314-92ec-a25428b4da78

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom