Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

yeh
I would clean it up
Irrigate.
I wouldnt do peroxide cause it kills tissue, I heard.

I would seclude maybe in a pet carrier

I would apply bacitracin twice a day

And keep an eye on it, for infection.

Camping this is about what my broody looked like after my dog attracted her. She's back to normal today. She has a great chance to me if she's ok eternally. I washed the wound. And I put peroxide on it the first time. I think they advise against the peroxide though. But mine is as good as new. I also got some banixx horse and pet care and sprayed the wound twice a day for a week or two. Kathy could definitely help you better then I but I think you hen will be fine.
hugs.gif

The reason why they suggest against peroxide is because it "eats" the good tissue as well as the damaged, and I'd use vetericyn and make sure whatever you are using nothing with a painkiller in it.

Thanks y'all. I trimmed some of his feathers and found a few more tears, one right on his keel. The honas are in my regular crate, so I'll have to improvise there. Did anyone tag Kathy?

@casportpony do you have an opinion on the blukote? I know I shouldn't do neosporin. I'm going to town tomorrow and can pick up the vetericyn (?) that some people prefer.

I had a young pekin duck that was attacked by a dog. She had an injury around her spine and leg and was unable to walk at all for over a month, but now she is a perfectly normal, chubby girl who lays me an egg almost every day! We did get a little help from the vet (a steroid shot) but he said it was mostly the aquatherapy we did daily that allowed her to regain her ability to walk. Just some words of encouragement!
hugs.gif

I had a young pekin duck that was attacked by a dog. She had an injury around her spine and leg and was unable to walk at all for over a month, but now she is a perfectly normal, chubby girl who lays me an egg almost every day! We did get a little help from the vet (a steroid shot) but he said it was mostly the aquatherapy we did daily that allowed her to regain her ability to walk. Just some words of encouragement! :hugs

Thanks! I had a pullet attacked by a coyote. She lost the use of one leg and stayed inside for a month, then rehabbed in a tractor for a month. After that she was great! I thought a hawk got her, but now I'm thinking it was the dog...

My neighbors 2 dogs got out when I let my chickens out to run around they wounded a bunch of my chickens and chased them into water and every thing lucky none died
smile.png

It can trap moisture against the skin and breed bacteria. Unless I'm thinking about something else...

I think neosporin and wrapping together can cause that, but I had a vet advise me to leave chicken wounds open and apply a topical antibiotic. I'm sure there are other opinions about it, but I've never had a problem with it. :)

Thanks! Maybe that is what I was thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom