Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

Take an eye dropper or plastic pipette full of water. Put a drop or two on the top of his beak. It will run down into his mouth and he will swallow it. It takes a minute or two to get him to take the whole dropper full, but it is the safest way to get him to take fluids without it going into his lungs.

If he is eating anything, you can take a bit of bread soaked in water. He might eat that on his own, getting some water, too.

The safest least stressfully way to get fluids into a bird that's not drinking is to tube them. A six pound rooster probably needs at least 135 ml of fluids per day to stay hydrated.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I went ahead and applied the blu-kote this morning. Someone told me that it's not good for punctures maybe? Or maybe that was just a preference. Anyway, I ised it on the coyote attack with great results, so I'm using it again.

Does plucking hurt them? I trimmed a bit but couldn't remember which feathers have blood in them.

Thanks Kathy. I went ahead and applied the blu-kote this morning. Someone told me that it's not good for punctures maybe? Or maybe that was just a preference. Anyway, I ised it on the coyote attack with great results, so I'm using it again.

Does plucking hurt them? I trimmed a bit but couldn't remember which feathers have blood in them.

Don't think plucking hurts them too much. Just do one at a time, pluck in the direction the feather is growing. If it looks like plucking might damage the skin, trim it. I'm also not sure which feathers have blood... Need to look into that.

Do you have him in a warm room?

-Kathy

Don't think plucking hurts them too much. Just do one at a time, pluck in the direction the feather is growing. If it looks like plucking might damage the skin, trim it. I'm also not sure which feathers have blood... Need to look into that.

-Kathy

Yes, he's in the bathroom with the heater running.

-Kathy

Is he looking better?

-Kathy

-Kathy

Is he looking better?

-Kathy

He's standing, which is better than laying. Yesterday his legs wouldn't hold weight. His skin looked more purple than yesterday, but then I sprayed him with blukote. Now everything is indigo colored, which is a drawback of blukote.

Go to this page number post 33, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...es-i-have-baytril-but-not-sure-what-to-use/30

And click on the web page [COLOR=333333]I found the link you mentioned,  [/COLOR][COLOR=B42000][COLOR=810081]https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700172/hen-mauled-by-dog-large-skinless-wound-gashed-muscle-look-help-advise-please-pics/30[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=810081]It is about wet to dry pack and helped me immensely.[/COLOR]

Nice links, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom