Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

My neighbors 2 dogs got out when I let my chickens out to run around they wounded a bunch of my chickens and chased them into water and every thing lucky none died
smile.png

It can trap moisture against the skin and breed bacteria. Unless I'm thinking about something else...

I think neosporin and wrapping together can cause that, but I had a vet advise me to leave chicken wounds open and apply a topical antibiotic. I'm sure there are other opinions about it, but I've never had a problem with it. :)

Thanks! Maybe that is what I was thinking of.

In the past I had a hen nearly skinned alive by a stray dog. I filled the sink with warm water, added enough bacitracin to make a weak tea color, and eased her into the warm water. She was very calm in the water, and the bacitracin/water was able to clean and disinfect the wounds I could see as well as any hidden ones. I did this two days in a row. Of course, you have to let her dry in a warm place so she won't get chilled. My girl earned her name - Hope - and two years later is happy, healthy, and laying eggs, even though her feathers never totally came back.

Oops! I meant Betadine, not bacitracin!

Last edited:
That baby rooster is standing up in his box! I keep calling him a baby, but he's bigger than my full grown EE pullets. I can't remember how old he is...

I sprayed him (and me) down with blukote. He had pooped, but it was a weird texture. I'm going to find him a big box today. I put him in a tiny one last night and he burrowed in trying to hide. I tried to give him water, but he's not interested.

Thanks y'all. I trimmed some of his feathers and found a few more tears, one right on his keel. The honas are in my regular crate, so I'll have to improvise there. Did anyone tag Kathy?

@casportpony do you have an opinion on the blukote? I know I shouldn't do neosporin. I'm going to town tomorrow and can pick up the vetericyn (?) that some people prefer.

Initial cleaning is key. I start by plucking feathers 1" away from the skin edges, trimming bits of skin that don't look viable, thoroughly irrigating the wound with sterile saline or water and chlorhexadine. Once clean I apply neosporin.

I'm still researching proper wound care. So far I know that peroxide is worthless as an antibacterial and can cause tissue damage. Betadine is a better antibacterial, but I think it can also cause tissue damage. Chlorhexadine is what most books recommend, I think.

Blue coat - need to research that. Same with the Vetericyn stuff.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom