Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

A small piece of information:

I choose iodine over chlorhexidine.

In teat dips for cows, iodine is more effective killing environmental bacteria. 

Glad your chook is doing better. I love his laundry basket home.  :D

My Miss Biddy went through a similar attack, and she is doing well now. 

I put molasses and banana in her food and I swear it helped her. 

Read this:
http://icvts.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/6/1017.full?sid=6972cd17-3c59-4314-92ec-a25428b4da78

-Kathy

He's so fluffy now! I'm not sure what feathers I should trim anymore. I feel like the "dry" layer is protecting his skin.

Should I try to wash the blukote so he stays moist? Or apply something else? Or just leave this as an experiment on how blu kote affects the healing process?

He's very alert and chatty, and he suddenly seems HUGE. Way too big for the basket house. He is constantly scoping out how to get out of his basket. He's got a good appetite, too.

He's so fluffy now! I'm not sure what feathers I should trim anymore. I feel like the "dry" layer is protecting his skin.

Should I try to wash the blukote so he stays moist? Or apply something else? Or just leave this as an experiment on how blu kote affects the healing process?

He's very alert and chatty, and he suddenly seems HUGE. Way too big for the basket house. He is constantly scoping out how to get out of his basket. He's got a good appetite, too.
Glad to hear he's doing so well!
I'm no expert and I don't want to lead you wrong. But my friend who treated her hen didn't wash off the blu-kote. I think she reapplied it every so often until the wounds seemed healed. But again, I am not an authority by any means. My friend is a pretty experienced chicken keeper.

One week update on Kinnick:

His pin feathers have come through and he's mostly covered on the naked parts, now. Good thing he was in the middle of his juvie molt! His tail his up and is pink underneath the blu-kote.

We're having mild temps right now. Is it crazy to put him back out with the flock? He's so big for that laundry basket, and seems pretty ready to be out of it.

Last edited:
One week update on Kinnick:

His pin feathers have come through and he's mostly covered on the naked parts, now. Good thing he was in the middle of his juvie molt! His tail his up and is pink underneath the blu-kote.

We're having mild temps right now. Is it crazy to put him back out with the flock? He's so big for that laundry basket, and seems pretty ready to be out of it.
Looks good! I'd probably keep inside for another week.

-Kathy

One week update on Kinnick: His pin feathers have come through and he's mostly covered on the naked parts, now. Good thing he was in the middle of his juvie molt! His tail his up and is pink underneath the blu-kote. We're having mild temps right now. Is it crazy to put him back out with the flock? He's so big for that laundry basket, and seems pretty ready to be out of it.
Looks good! I'd probably keep inside for another week. -Kathy
Ok thanks! In that case I'm going to move him to a bigger crate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom