Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

pixie74943

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, who wants to help me out??

I'd set this as a poll, but A. I dont know how, and B. I wouldnt be able to list every dog breed.

Anywho.. could you please post what dogs you have/had and whether they were chicken compatible? I'll try and compile them into a list of...

Chicken Killer!
Labrador (x3)
German Shepard (x3)
Rat Terrier (x4)
Jack Russell (x3)
German Shorthaired Pointer (x2)
Rhodesian Ridgebacks (x2)
Doberman (x2)
Beagle (x2)
Husky
Australian Cattle Dog
Min Pin
English Pointer
St. Bernard
English Mastiff
Rottweiler
Border Collie
Jack Russel
Cocker Spaniel
Great Pyr

Chicken Hater/Chaser but not killer
German Shepherd (x2)
Silky Terrier
Chihuahua
Schkipperkee
Yorkshire Yerrier
Shiba Inu
onsense
Poodle
Rottweiler
Pit Bull
Irish Wolfhound
Labrador
Great Pyr

Questionable/Maybes...
German Shepherd (x2)
Greyhound
Anatolian Shepherd
Keeshond
Blue Heeler
Yorkie
Fox Terrier
onsense
Basset Hound
American Pit Bull
Pug
Boxer

Chicken Ignorer
Chihuahua (x3)
American Pit Bull Terrier (x2)
Rat Terrier (x2)
Mini Schnauzers (x2)
Border Collie (x2)
Labrador (x2)
Poodle (x2)
Boxer (x2)
German Shepherd
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd
Basset Hound
Husky
Catahoula
Yorkshire Terrier
Boston Terrier
Beagle
Anatolian Shepherd
Boxer
Collie

Chicken Friend
Border Collie (x5)
Pit Bull Terrier (x4)
Corgi (x4)
Chihuahua (x3)
Labrador (x3)
Beagle (x2)
Jack Russel (x2)
Chow (x2)
Bernese Mountain Dog
Bull Mastiff
Shar pei
Australian Cattle Dog
Miniature Schnauzer
Australian Shepherd
Rottweiler
Field Spaniel
Pug
Lhasa Apso
Boston Terrier
Husky
Springer Spaniel
onsense
Mini-Poodle
Sceltie
Rat Terrier

Chicken Guarder
Labrador (x4)
Great Pyr (x3)
Collie (x3)
Cocker Spaniel (x2)
Pit Bull Terrier (x2)
Border Collie (x2)
Rat Terrier
Bloodhound
Pekenese
Poodle
South African Boerboel
Rottweiler
Blue Heeler
Coonhound
Beagle
Irish Setter
German Shepherd
Boston Terrier
Great Dane
Black Russian Terrier

If you have a crossbred.. I'll list it twice, once under each breed. And if you have a mutt, tell me what dog they are closest too and we'll go from there.
Hopefully we can keep our feathery little friends safe!

IMPORTANT: Can you also tell me exactly what category you would put them in Please. I feel bad about making the judgement myself based off of one paragraph I may misinterpret, you know your dogs best!

Disclaimer: Dogs are individuals, just because they are listed here as chicken lovers does NOT mean you should leave them alone together without proper introductions/training/supervision

Another Note. 'Popular' dog breed such as Labs are appearing in EVERY category!! If you're to lazy to read the whole list (dont worry, I will understand) please dont stress out to see your favourite dog listed as a killer. They are probably somewhere else as well. It all comes down to you as the owner. If I dog is listed as a killer, that means they are a potential killer, and you will have to work with them. If you dont have the time to train them properly, perhaps steer away from breeds that rank higher on the list.

**edited title to be less inflammatory**

Last edited:
I have a german shephard/greyhound cross...so far so good but I wouldn't leave them alone together. She likes to chase our cats and rabbit when the mood strikes her but she doesn't ever deliberately catch them...The cats have put her in her place, and I have a feeling if she got close enough, the chickens would too, lol.

I have a shepherd cross (don't know what she's crossed with) who ignores chickens and a Bernese Mountain dog who is in love with the chickens. Both are great with the birds.

We had an austrailian cattle dog shot in the act by a neighbor a mile away.

We had two rat terrier x who were both bad to kill chickens. They are the ones responsible for my dog proof pens.

Just some food for thought here... Are you sure this is a good idea? Simply because - every dog is different, and even the guardian dogs MUST be trained. Some people could become offended by seeing their dog under a "bad wrap" list. It just seems better to avoid a very possible debate
wink.png
I have 4 dogs and will not let any of them out with my chickens. 3 I know would kill in an instant (hunting instinct). The other is a chow/golden cross who would rather play with the chickens than hurt them, but he is still not allowed out unless I'm there, and he has his shock collar on. I believe in using precaution rather than hoping for the best
big_smile.png
Again, I'm not trying to criticize or be mean, just thinking out loud I guess
cool.png

Quote:
I understand, friendly debate is welcome. I just thought it would be nice to have a place to look to see if the breed you're considering has a super high prey drive. Every animal has the potential to be a lover or a killer, but some animals were bred to hunt birds. Like Pyr's a bred to protect.

Quote:
German Shepherd??

And I just googled Bernese Mountain Dog to make sure the spelling was right (never heard of them before) and I must say.. OMG how adorable!! Especially the puppy photos!! They look like a big bundle of lovable cuddleable doggy goodness!

Edited to add: I just read the wiki article on them.. now I really must have one!! I dont know how well they would hold up in an Australian Summer though
sad.png

Last edited:
I have 2 cocker spaniels........ (bird dogs) they are the dogs that I let out to protect my flock of 4.
Guardian dogs tend to be naturally good with them. Most herding breeds are also good with them.............. but again, all dogs are individuals and it depends on training, introduction, personality of the dog and how you handle yourself. If your all nervous about what your doing your dog will pick up on your unease and be confused.
Pretty much all dog breeds can be good with chickens with some training. Some breeds just pick up on it quicker or more naturally then others, like a Pyranese.

Seems to me most dogs that are Killer dogs are usually the neighbors or stray dogs who have never seen a chicken or just heard them and have gotten excited by the noice.

4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Last edited:
My Bullmastiff is very safe with the chickens. She comes in the coop while I clean it up. the chickens peck her toenails which is very cute.

I will say that I started desensitizing the bullmastiff when the chicks were peeps. My dog came to me from the humane society with an unknown background and so I thought it best to be sure she understood that chickens were to be left alone.

Yes, again my point is that I spent several times a day everyday for months being sure my dog was desentized to my chickens.

She's also pet rabbit safe.

Last edited:
We have a chow/ shar pei mix and he is wonderful with the chickens but he is such an old man I don't think he'd have the energy to kill anything. He won't be with us for longer and I am very interested to here all about the suggested "good with chickens" breeds because we will need to get another dog soon! We used to be keepers of wolf hybrids until they all went to my ex's huge track of land on the mountain. Has anyone successfully kept a wolf/ husky ,sled-dog mix,ect with chickens or does that just sound crazy ? I would really ,really,really love to get another one of these amazing dogs in the future.

Back
Top Bottom