What dog breeds are right for me?

I am partial to German shepherds but still, the best dog I ever had (so far) has been a Briard. Size wise they are similar to GSD, females being smaller. Mine was 65lbs female but males can get up to 80ish. I’ll get into personality later on but I’m a small female 120lbs and when I had her I was late teens/early twenties and she was very easy to train for a (kind of beginner) and despite the large size was very easy to handle. (I had done research and was prepared to wind up with a very large size). They require regular brushing but despite that they don’t shed… their undercoat gets “caught” in the top coat (hence the need for brushing) but doesn’t shed everywhere like most other dogs. We kept our shaved seasonally. They were developed in the French countryside as an all purpose dog suitable for herding, livestock protection, personal protection, and a great family pet… designed to basically go with the flow and adapt to anything the family needed. All dogs can be aggressive with people or dogs without proper socializing. Bear (my girl) was quite protective regarding dogs and people but was very aware of whether I felt threatened or not. She was amazingly in tuned with my body language more than any dog I’ve had since. I remember being at the beach when I was about twenty with a girlfriend (I’m also female) and her dogs and some creepy dude had been eyeing us. I didn’t see him approach but bear did and squared up growling, warning him to stay away. We were meeting friends (that bear had never met, and their dogs) when they arrived she barked as an alert (no growling) when they approached but quickly calmed as I welcomed them into the group.

They are uncommonly used as service dogs and there is one that recently got quite famous because his family taught him to ride a scooter. I think his name is Norman and he’s got lots of videos on YouTube as you can imagine.

They are hard to find but there are still quite a few very good breeders out there. I have considered getting one still. I came to the us from Canada for my masters and left her with my mom who was a new empty nester after my sister left also (she needed bear more than me, but only barely). She just passed away this year at age 16.

EDIT: something that’s important to me is wanting a dog that I don’t have to worry about taking off and wandering. Big reason why I like shepherds (briard, along with their cousin the Beauceron - which have shorter hair but are larger and more suited to protection- are considered “French shepherds” Berger de Brie and Berger de beauce respectively), my GSD (which, in French, is Berger d’allemand for reference) doesn’t like being more than 20ft from me or out of eyesight and bear was the same… but a lot less anxious about it. I think that comes from the LGD type genes of independent thinking and threat assessment. I never had issues with separation anxiety with her as a puppy or adult, my GSD on the other hand lol took about a year to train with that.

1638793545802.jpeg

GOOGLE IMAGE:
1638793748081.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely girl. I agree that time is the best medicine when it comes to loss.
When I lost my last pup, I was looking just a few months after she passed, but soon realized that I was nowhere near ready. Over two years later I found the perfect match. It was worth the wait.

I've never had one myself, but I've always wanted a German Shorthaired pointer one day. I worked for a vet ages ago and met a few there and elsewhere. Truly wonderful dogs. Smart, athletic, and loyal companions. Short coat is a plus...my sheltie is on course to wear out our new vacuum in record time (but she's absolutely worth it!)

Last edited:
I am partial to German shepherds but still, the best dog I ever had (so far) has been a Briard. Size wise they are similar to GSD, females being smaller. Mine was 65lbs female but males can get up to 80ish. I’ll get into personality later on but I’m a small female 120lbs and when I had her I was late teens/early twenties and she was very easy to train for a (kind of beginner) and despite the large size was very easy to handle. (I had done research and was prepared to wind up with a very large size). They require regular brushing but despite that they don’t shed… their undercoat gets “caught” in the top coat (hence the need for brushing) but doesn’t shed everywhere like most other dogs. We kept our shaved seasonally. They were developed in the French countryside as an all purpose dog suitable for herding, livestock protection, personal protection, and a great family pet… designed to basically go with the flow and adapt to anything the family needed. All dogs can be aggressive with people or dogs without proper socializing. Bear (my girl) was quite protective regarding dogs and people but was very aware of whether I felt threatened or not. She was amazingly in tuned with my body language more than any dog I’ve had since. I remember being at the beach when I was about twenty with a girlfriend (I’m also female) and her dogs and some creepy dude had been eyeing us. I didn’t see him approach but bear did and squared up growling, warning him to stay away. We were meeting friends (that bear had never met, and their dogs) when they arrived she barked as an alert (no growling) when they approached but quickly calmed as I welcomed them into the group.

They are uncommonly used as service dogs and there is one that recently got quite famous because his family taught him to ride a scooter. I think his name is Norman and he’s got lots of videos on YouTube as you can imagine.

They are hard to find but there are still quite a few very good breeders out there. I have considered getting one still. I came to the us from Canada for my masters and left her with my mom who was a new empty nester after my sister left also (she needed bear more than me, but only barely). She just passed away this year at age 16.

EDIT: something that’s important to me is wanting a dog that I don’t have to worry about taking off and wandering. Big reason why I like shepherds (briard, along with their cousin the Beauceron - which have shorter hair but are larger and more suited to protection- are considered “French shepherds” Berger de Brie and Berger de beauce respectively), my GSD (which, in French, is Berger d’allemand for reference) doesn’t like being more than 20ft from me or out of eyesight and bear was the same… but a lot less anxious about it. I think that comes from the LGD type genes of independent thinking and threat assessment. I never had issues with separation anxiety with her as a puppy or adult, my GSD on the other hand lol took about a year to train with that.

View attachment 2920033

GOOGLE IMAGE:
View attachment 2920034
Thanks for sharing, Twisted Tayy, that is good stuff to know! A dog well-tuned both to you and the environment is a gift from heaven and you were truly blessed to have had her. ❤️

ETA: she certainly was a beautiful representative of her breed!

Got an Australian Kelpie at the moment, it's a good dog but they need lotta space to run fast am roam about. She's is an absolute excellent guard dog which I did not expect from the breed aswell. They are also good working dogs they are often used on working farms with cattle ect.. though our one does not work. Highly intelligent and very friendly with those she knows.

The other dog IV had in past was a jack Russell very good watch dog, happy friendly little critter there actually a really good breed too I reckon but more of a companionship dog then a working one I know they do use em to catch rats and mine did chase after smaller animals like rabbits ect.. but so does the Kelpie or most dogs really. Jack Russel very brave I brought a bigger dog home once a husky and Jack Russel attacked it. Loyal as dogs are..

Other breed I had for a little while was rottweiler X ridgeback massive head on the creature bit silly, not the brightest but very friendly with people and other dogs he knew absolutely did not like stranger dogs though. Strong on lead.

If I get another dog which I won't it would be a boxer, another Kelpie to breed pure breeds or a bull terrier, or staffy I reckon. I do like the German pointers too but there a bit to popular up here in the mountains and Dalmatians but.. idk about those and bull Arabs..

We have a golden retriever German shepherd mix we love her she is the best dog ever her name is Kaia but we also have a livestock guardian dog she's not super energetic but I love her her name is Freya I'm so sorry about Cricket she's a beautiful dog!

Ive owned a bunch of different breeds of dogs. If you live a active lifestyle and want a extremely smart dog that learns quickly, requires little to no grooming and is ready to go with you 24/7 then my pick is what I have in my kennels at home.... a Blue Lacy..... they are by far the smartest easiest to train dogs I have ever owned and they are high energy. They can go all day and keep on going. They are not a lay around all day and get fat dog. They are very protective and love to play.

One breed that is really smart and an all around great dog is an English Shepherd, or what many people think of as the old fashioned farm collie. I would stick to a breeder that is a member of the English Shepherd Club and health tests and OFAs their dogs. I've had Border Collies and they are not all crazy or hyper, but I swear the short coated ones are the best as far as being smart and not hyper. I grew up with a Golden Retriever and English Shepherd. My favorite breed of all time is a Leonberger, which is a lot like a huge retriever because they love to swim and get along along with everyone. There's something about giant dogs, Leonbergers in particular. They are more like people, even than other dogs. I've also had a Pyrenean Mastiff, St. Bernard-Border Collie mix, and 2 Irish Wolfhounds. My Lab-Boxer mix just passed away and I thought it would kill me too. I loved her so much! Hope you find a forever friend!

All dogs are smart in there own way. but personally i like the sporting group and hersing group. Labs, any type of retriever, German Shorthaired or Wirehaired pointers, Australian Shepard. I have a golden retriever right now.

Back
Top Bottom