Dog fleas--action points?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I just found live fleas on my dogs' tummy. Yikes! He's an indoor/outdoor dog, but we haven't had fleas before. He's on a regular cycle of Frontline and Heartgard. My guess is one of the family members forgot to do Frontline last month.

Questions: 1. I gave him Frontline today. Will that take care of all the fleas?
2. He's in a kennel in the garage with no bedding. Do I need to clean it or the surrounding areas? Can I assume all the fleas were on him and not elsewhere?
3. What about our other 2 dogs? One is on Brevecto and the other one got Frontline today.
4. How soon should I expect all the fleas to be gone?

Thanks!

Unfortunately from what I’ve found out fleas are becoming immune to frontline. It’s basically useless. My dog is highly allergic to fleas so it showed me that. Tried all the otc flea meds. The only thing I can find that works is the oral meds from the vet. At least in spring and summer. But when you do find the med that works it suggested to treat carpets. Flea busters works great for me and least toxic for all

Frontline sometimes doesn't work. Like most parasites, bugs, bacteria, weeds, etc. they can become resistant over time. Alternate which product you use each year if you can, using Frontline one year and Advantage the next. I have also had great success with Capstar, which is a single pill that will kill the fleas currently on a dog for 24-48 hours.
Also, always use Frontline Plus or Advantage 2, they work better.
Flea collars and baths are a scam, don't use them.
Dust the floors of the kennel with Diatomaceous Earth and work it into any cracks or gaps in the floor. This will help kill fleas in the environment.
Vacuum all the floors, spray beneficial nematodes in the lawn areas.
If you can, a place flea collars work great is in a vacuum canister. Keep one in the canister or bag to kill the fleas you vacuum up.

Last edited:
Fleas can live 100 days or 2-3 months without a host. But you should see improvement in 3 days to a week on the dogs. Treat the yard too if possible
The yard is 18 acres. What an awful chore to have to tackle these pests. Ugh.

no matter what you use, if you don't get fleas out of the environment it will be useless. Confine the dogs to a treated area for a while, until you are sure they are flea free. Then the repellents and meds can keep them bug free when they roam the rest of the property. Keep an area around the house and garage always treated with DE or something else.
for your other dog, it's possible that she has a heavy parasite load if there are fleas on her. Fleas spread tapeworm. And a heavy load can leave her with no appetite as well as extreme weight loss. But a heavy worm load should also be treated under a vet's care because the die-off can cause other infections to fester

DE is great. Can’t use it personally cause my dog has respiratory issues and what I use is safer for that. DE does work for bugs or at least help.

Back
Top Bottom