Dog got my chicken

Kychicklover

Hatching
Apr 29, 2018
I literally don't know what to do. It looks so bad. Mostly just feather loss but there is a chunk missing

Attachments

• 20180429_173707.jpg
    20180429_173707.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 15
I am not an expert.

I know it looks horrible but I’ve seen amazing feats of healing take place with people’s chickens here on BYC.
Bring the bird inside and get it cleaned up gently but thoroughly with soap and water. Pat dry.
Coat the entire wound with antibiotic ointment -NOT the kind that has a pain reliever in it.

Hopefully someone else will make a suggestion about bandaging or not to bandage.

Prepare a quiet, dark, safe place for the bird to recuperate in tonight.
Replacing electrolytes might me a good idea but at the very least see if she’ll drink some water. and provide food although she may not eat tonight because of the shock she’s experienced.

You’ll want to keep her inside during recovery to minimize the risk of infection and re-injury from flockmates.

A dog crate is ideal but you can improvise. Even a box or clothesbasket will do for tonight.

Also some people swear by Manuka honey for wound healing.
I hope some of this helps and she heals quickly.

6394C1BF-00B5-4018-9065-B05F65AF3395.jpeg D7C2A71B-2627-4CC5-AA04-A18E1ECB19BA.jpeg She’s going to be ok. One of my pulleys got attacked, and a huge chunk of her neck was dangling. The vet cut it off and put her on antibiotics and she was fully healed 2 weeks later.
I got her some kind of spray, I’ll look it up and tell you.

She will most likely be okay. If you can get to the feed store and pick up a spray bottle of wonder blue. I have used it for everything from horses to chickens and it is great. It is almost a purple blue color when you spray it on but it works. It also comes in powder to dust onto the wound. WONDER DUST. Every farm should have one on hand Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom