Dog Kennel coop

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Started work on our Dog Kennel chicken tractor today! So excited. Got me a little extra money on hand and went and bought some lumber. I'll try and get pictures later. It's a 10x6 kennel. Today we didn't get a lot done. Just a brief start. We bought 2x2's 8 ft long. Cut 2 of them 5 ft long and drilled holes into the pipe of the kennel. Then we screwed the 2x2's into the pipes. Put one on the left side and one on the right. This is going to be our support system for the coop. I was going to have to buy wire to line the bottom of the coop with. But it just so happened that we found an old screen door around here that had a 6 ft long piece of hardware cloth that was in perfect condition. 27" wide so that's how wide our coop is going to be. 6' x 27". I had planned on making it a bit bigger but this will work fine. We got that attached to a wood frame made out of the other 2x2's and braced and such. Put that up and moved on to some other projects. Coming up next is going to be fitting the framework up and screwing down the floor. and then putting up the sides. Which is going to be leftover wood paneling from 'home makeover' job. My uncle works for Pepsi and hooked us up with this plastic stuff that's sturdy and won't rot. So far, i've only had to buy the lumber. Everything else has been free. I've got high hopes for this.

Sounds Great! Can't wait to see pics!!!
thumbsup.gif

question. we haven't gotten anywhere near the front of the coop yet, but i want to be prepared for when we do. The kennel is going to have a wire top to keep predators out and chickens in. The coop will have a metal roof or something. so the food would get wet in the rain if it's on the ground. I'd like to build a little feed trough on the inside of the coop. Anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

Update. Bought 7 ft ( 1 extra foot just in case we mess up) of 1/2 x 1" wire to put on the bottom of the coop... sure.... we already did the bottom... i'll just have to redo it... this is better.
smile.png

drawing.png

My idea for the front of the coop. I want a main access door in the center that's big enough for me to squeeze in and catch chickens if needed. I want the nest boxes extending out on the right. to save room in the inside of the coop. and on the left side, a door that can be held open by a chain or something for the birds to come down the ladder during the day and back up at night.

ok thanks! i actually found a 'gravity feeder' that was a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. i'm going to try that.. it had a plant pot water catcher for a bottom.

I used one of those when I had pheasants and left it outside in their run, the one I'm talking about is made from 4in pvc with a 90 on the bottom for the birds to eat from. I'll find a pic.

Back
Top Bottom