Dog Kennel vs Coop with Run

kma2785

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Hubert NC
So looking at different options for a chicken coop with a run. Would it be better to get a 10x10 dog kennel and just put a coop inside or to build a coop with attached run. This will be for 6-8 hens. I also plan on letting them out during day when Im home until I know for sure my dog with guard them. All help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Make sure you line the bottom vertical part of the kennel with chicken wire (coons can get through this) or 1/2 inch hardware cloth (which is the only predator proof stuff there is), so that hawks, owls, and coons won't pull your chickens through the fencing as they sit next to it. Hey it happened to me.

Also you can apron out or bury 1/2 inch hardware cloth so that digging predators are discouraged. You can also put a roof of it on top as coons climb. (Or you can put shade cloth if you only want protection from hawks/owls).

Depends on if you want it predator proof or if you are going to make sure they are locked up tight at nightfall. If you are going to put the coop door on an auto timer that is awesome and saves a lot of work. I love mine.

The nice thing about dog kennels is they are built to keep dogs in, so can help with keeping dogs out should your dog not get along well with the chickens.

Some use kennel panels and then you can move the kennel around if need be.

Rats and weasels can still get through chain link, so make sure they are closed up at night. You need to have the windows of your coop 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I'd do the dog run just for simplicity sake. Don't build a huge coop unless you live somewhere cold, just so that you can preserve the entire run.

If you live somewhere cold and they may be locked up for a while, I'd build a coop and attach a run that's large while still having a large coop.

So looking at different options for a chicken coop with a run.  Would it be better to get a 10x10 dog kennel and just put a coop inside or to build a coop with attached run.  This will be for 6-8 hens.  I also plan on letting them out during day when Im home until I know for sure my dog with guard them.  All help and thoughts would be appreciated.  
I did the dog kennel route however my coop is outside the kennel connected with a tunnel,this keeps feet clean when gathering eggs and gives more of an open space in the run,best of both worlds.

Front still wrapped up for the winter,clear shower curtain lets light in and keeps it surprisingly warm

One of my coops is a dog kennel with a further run attached. They use the indoor run for dustbathing and keeping out of the wind and whatnot. At the moment im using it as my OAP (old age pensioner) coop but its been used for mums and babies too in the past. Its been great and i would definitely go down this route again.

Good luck with yours x

So looking at different options for a chicken coop with a run. Would it be better to get a 10x10 dog kennel and just put a coop inside or to build a coop with attached run. This will be for 6-8 hens. I also plan on letting them out during day when Im home until I know for sure my dog with guard them. All help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Instead of paying $250-$350 for a dog kennel I would buy five or six feet high 2 x 4' welded wire and fence a larger area. You can pound in pipes/poles and simply connect the fence wire to them. Make sure the birds are in the coop at night and not sleeping near the run fence where something could reach through and grab them.

Don't count on your dog to guard them especially when they free range. Even IF your dog wants to guard the chickens (which is extremely unlikely, guarding against predators means watching the flock all the time) a single dog can't protect against all predators, especially predators that work in teams or strike from above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom