Dog Mutts/Mixes Thread!

These are my 8 month old puppies, they are Dobie/Lab mix. I adopted them in may from an animal shelter 2 hours from where i live. The one with the blue collar is Zeus and the red collar is Thor.

Last edited:
a responsibly bred dog is healthier than a randomly bred mutt. irresponsible breeding with no research often involves using dogs that are related in some way. "I have a boy and a girl" (frequently with both of them bought from local breeders) is often the only criteria a backyard breeder needs to put 2 dogs together. Local populations from those type of breeders quickly become intermixed and you have a population of dogs that are related at some point in their pedigree. These type of dogs are most likely to have issues.

however, randomly mixed breed dogs aren't "hybrid" - you are simply increases the chance that there are no common ancestors. But, if you have a lab mixed with a GSD (for example) you have pups that have the same chance of hip issues, heart issues, cancer etc since those problems are common in both breeds.

When it comes to making mixes on purpose, you run into an even bigger problem. No responsible breeder of labs, poodles, etc etc will sell a quality dog with knowledge that it will be used to make mutts. So, the "breeder" either buys a pet quality dog and breeds it anyway or they buy from a backyard breeder who is more likely to have poor quality breeding stock to begin with. So you are starting off with parents that are more likely to have genetic issues or carry the genes for issues. And since many issues don't have clinical symptoms until the dog is older and has already been bred, you don't know unless you have the testing done. And that's something that those breeders don't do.

@henny1129 your dog olive could very well be full blooded, it's kinda hard to tell without a picture of the dog standing properly but she does look beagle-y , my family raised them for years . I assume she has a white tipped tail, 99% of beagles do And her ears should just reach the tip of her nose. She should also be under 15 inches tall at the shoulders if so it sounds like she is. If she's over 15 she's some other foxhound. Cute none the less

Thank you for this information! :) She does have a white tipped tail, but I've never really looked to see how far her ears go down and I've never measured her. I will do this though and try to get a pic of her standing up, she's quite lazy! :lol: I honestly don't care if she's purebred or not, it's just something that I've wanted to find out......I don't understand how she ended up in a shelter for the first place, especially if she's purebred.

Ok, sorry for getting the pictures so late, but I have them now!

And I measured her and she's just under 15 inches, though I think her ears are a bit long.......

toy dog breeds were bred as companions for the rich. Later, as companions for anyone. They were small because their main purpose was to be held on the lap.
what you likely despise is the behavior they are allowed to exhibit. That's all on the owners. They let them behave like little Nazis because "it's so cute" A properly trained and socialized toy doesn't act that way though some can still be yappy. Just like GSDs tend to be talkers - sometimes it's just the individual personality.

Standard poodles are actually hunting dogs. And that is the reason behind the weird haircut as well. They originally retrieved game from freezing water so coat was kept on the chest and joints to prevent chills while the rest was shaved to avoid the dog being weighed down. They aren't "waterproof" like some retrievers and the hair soaks up water like a sponge.

My partner and I are chicken mums and also mums to 2 beautiful rescued greyhounds, Nelson and Grace. We also have Koko who I inherited when my mum passed away in March this year. Koko is THE Queen Bee, the boss, she runs the house. Grace is her minion and Nelson is more like her husband they have a cute little connection :)

Ok, I will re-post mine on here.

Bonnie. She was rescued from the pound, just 1 day before she would have been euthanized, save a pound dog! They know they have gotten a second chance and they turn out wonderfully! I think Bonnie is a Border Collie/Black Lab mix. She loves water, and when we take her to the pond, she try's to ''rescue'' everybody from the pond.

Bailey. She was rescued from the pound with Bonnie. They became best friends very fast. Bailey was badly abused. She is scared of most men. She has become my very best friend, and has learned to trust me. I think Bailey is a Boxer/Hound mix.

Back
Top Bottom