dogloo?

MommyM

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
California
Hi everyone! We are trying to come up with an easy design for a coop.
I thought, why not take a large dog house, and build a run that would connect to it and make a door somewhere on it? I think that could work, we are looking for a used wood dog house right now.
While looking we saw an extra large dogloo on craigslist for sale, it's $75. I know the Eglu is similar in design, (maybe they're the same company?) now, we talked about a dogloo before, but my husband is no handy man, and can't figure out how to make an enclosed run to attach to the dogloo.
It's plastic, and he's not sure how to go about it. I'm not too handy myself either...so I wasn't sure how to attach it either. I don't know about nailing it to the plastic dog house...
That was one reason we wanted a wooden dog house.

Anyways, I'm hoping my post makes sense to someone out there!!
hmm.png
And someone can give some tips.

It's a good Idea-- We also considered it, untill we got too many chickens for the dogloo!
Try using PVC and both "T" and "X" connectors to build an "archaway" or tunnel-type frame (I use them in my garden for hot-houses!) and use industrial plastic "zip-strips" to attach the PVC frame to the Dogloo-- then you just cover w/chickenwire or Deernetting with more zip-strips ..you may need a chicken-wire floor(?) or some other way to keep out preditors...

Good luck!
IF ya do one-- I'd definately post it!!!!

The main issue I see with the Dogloo is that it would be hard to open it to get eggs and to clean. It might work if you get a chain link kennel and put it in there. then you could access it pretty easily from the front. There is another thread going that posted a link to a website that sells dog houses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66820

You could get some ideas from there. I got the log cabin style house, I figure it will work well because the top is removable, so I'll have easy access.. I'm working on an attachable run as we speak. (I'm just taking a little break. It's darned hot out today!)

Good luck!

When I first started raising chickens I used a dogloo that the dogs didn't want after they ate the pad. I placed it inside a 6' chain link kennel that the dogs dug out of all the time. Shavings went inside the dogloo and I just popped the top up to take out eggs or change the shavings. I put two 2x2s thru the chain link to make roosts which the chickens loved if the dogloo was too warm. The combo was easy to move around the yard and give the chickens fresh grass to eat and fertilized the yard too.
However, modifications had to be made after predators- coyotes showed up. I ran chicken wire around the outside of the kennel and fastened it with wire ties, overlapping the door to the kennel so I could get in and out. Also put wire fencing over the top of the kennel later after the chickens flew up and out to get away from the coyotes running around the outside of the kennel and ended up as dinner anyway.
I used the combination for over a year. Now the combo is home for 2 turkeys (at least for a little while).

Back
Top Bottom