Dogs and chickens

They are towards everything else that comes around though, like raccoons and coyotes. Somehow the dogs know the chickens are mine it seems.
Yes, they do know or learn who is in the household "pack" and who isn't. My dogs will go crazy over that cat that deliberately walks along the top of the fence, but our cats are ignored. Ditto with our birds and those crows out the back.
As to how much training is needed to get the dogs to leave chooks alone, a lot depends on the dog's personality/traits. Some are completely disinterested in the "game" of chasey, others love it and it needs to be made clear that that game isn't in the repertoire of permitted activities.

I had a collie years ago a smooth collie named Pappy. Pappy actually came from a line of smooth Collies that were chicken herders .they were turned loose in the chick house with the young chicks and they carefully kept chicks from piling on each other and suffocating .Pappy knew instinctively what to do with the chickens. if they got loose, he would herd them into a corner ,hold them for me till I came to pick them up.
my current thirteen-year-old smooth collie girl is not related to Pappy .she has a higher prey drive. the other day she was out with me. I do not let her near the chickens .she was out with me and one of my best pullets got loose. the chicken was heading for the road and I knew if I didn't catch her swiftly( which I couldn't do ),she was going to get killed .so I turned to my collie and I said ,"get her!". this girl ran the chicken along the edge of the garage and held her in the doorway softly with her mouth until I came to pick her up. soon as she saw me reaching for the bird she let her go. I picked up the bird and everything was fine .so that's my chicken story. you never know what birds and dogs are going to do when they get together .
have you considered putting a pen up right next to the chicken run so that your dog can spend some time very close to the chickens watching them? I know they do that with Great Pyrenees. it's a thought .
Karen

Last edited:
We have a chocolate lab/german shorthair mix. The only thing he has EVER chased is birds. So I thought we would have a problem. He actually did try to go after the chickens when they were small. He would get scolded every time he tried to go near them after that. Recently I started letting him out but only with me, since I am "alpha" and I had treats for him. I kept his attention on me and kept him busy while they ranged. Then he had to stay by me non stop. As I learned he could be trusted he got more freedom. Now he will follow them (which they aren't pleased with) but he doesn't chase. However, I don't let him out with them unless I am present.

You've gotten some good advice already.

GSD are wonderful dogs. Very smart. They can hold grudges, so train just as smart. Therefore, be sure you are clear and consistent with your commands. Inconsistency is very annoying and builds disrespect for a GSD.

I would recommend letting your pup gain maturity first before working too much around or with the chickens. It will help it build confidence and respect (for you and later the birds). How soon chicken work begins depends on the dog, but basic obedience and a good leave it command are necessities before chicken work begins.

GSD need something to do and need mental stimulation. There is no such thing as a bored GSD...but they may find something you don't want them to do. ALWAYS keep them occupied with constructive things during their active puppy hood or things you want them to do. Never allow destructive behavior, not even once. They learn by opportunity and one time can be enough to set that behavior if it offered sufficient stimulus reward. Never let them have the opportunity to be destructive as retraining is much, much harder than training right the first time (and remember that grudge thing?).

As to training positive vs. negative reinforcements, really depends on your particular GSD. Some can be more stubborn, others softer. But they are SMART, so respect that. Back to clear consistent commands.

Generally, we found positive rewards balanced with negative consequences very effective with GSD. In our Guide Dog for the Blind puppy raising program, several projects with GSD, we used food treats and praise (rewards for good behavior) and then quick leash corrections (snapped like the "leash monster" bit...quick downward snap like a towel with leash using a chain training collar set so it relaxes the moment you release the leash) to get their attention if they are overly focused and lunging for something. The moment they look back at you, and they will as you have built relationship with them and they smartly want to please their person, praise, praise, praise. You are always warm and friendly when they look away from the offending object or stop the offending behavior. Use a 3 second rule. Either reward or punish within that window, otherwise, it is pointless. You will be reinforcing something you aren't meaning to address or encourage.

Taking them into overly stimulating situations too soon can "sour" the dog and create situations for failure for the dog.

Lots of basic leash work first then, with lots of controlled positive interaction as a pup and lots of interactive games that make them think to work off excess energy. Build trust. Focus energy. Train with positive/negative balance for obedience and impulse control.

Once they have worked through the appropriate basic level stage (how long depends on the dog), then you can begin higher stimulus situations...but always introduced slowly with you in control at the other end of the leash or drag line and a pouch of tasty food treats. Some GSD are environmentally sensitive and need to think through the new situation. Allow them the time to do so in a positive way.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Former Guide Dog for the Blind puppy raiser (7 projects...2 with GSD)

20170812_080222.jpg
Here's our GSD with our 2/3wk chicks in a brooder made out of her crate from when she was a pup! She loves them, and thinks they're her babies!

Last edited:
View attachment 1108647 Here's our GSD with our 2/3wk chicks in a brooder made out of her crate from when she was a pup! She loves them, and thinks they're her babies!
GSD are indeed special dogs. They are very smart and pick up our every move so quickly. Your dog looks lovely. It seems like she is well trained as well, but I would just like to share a tip that has always worked for me. When having a dog intensely observing birds, I make it at least sit at a reasonable distance. Sometimes dogs can get overly excited with the sounds and movements of birds and to no fault of their own, instincts kick in and the dog can charge. I love seeing pictures of dogs with "their" birds.:love

Some tips I'd like to share that have worked for me is to never offer, shake, play tug of war or make erratic movements with feathered squeaky toys in front of your dogs. It helps dogs not to catch birds.
Also, if a dog is on leash near your birds and the dog starts getting excited, it is time to call the dog's attention to you and move away without making a fuss. Dogs must learn that it is not ok to lose control near your birds. Ever. It takes time, patience, and consistency, but in the end you will have a mentally balanced, even tempered guardian for your birds.
Hope that helps

I'm pretty sure my dogs know there is a difference between a stuffed toy and a living breathing bird. Playing with one isn't going to make them more prone to going after my birds.

The worst chicken killing dog I knew (even took down sheep and goats) never played with a squeaky toy in his life. All three of my dogs were raised playing tug with squeaky toys and it was easy to get them to trained up around my birds. The difference between them (and the thing that had the most impact) was breed and temperament. Next was foundation training.

From the moment I brought my chickies home I included our Labrador Retriever. As I took each out of the shipping box I held them in front of Annie and let her smell them. Then, I placed each into the brooder box. Every time I went to check the chicks I took her with me. There was one time when a couple chicks escaped and as I tried to catch them I noticed Annie was helping to herd the birds back toward me. She never tried to grab them. When I transitioned the chicks to their coop and run, Annie was right there. She continues to go with me to visit the "birdies". She likes to taste their food and watch them play "keep away" when I take them treats. She lays down in their run and the birds come right up to her. A few peck at her and she just ignores them. One chick, in particular, like to catch a ride on her back and has been known to even sit down and roost on her back. Our neighbor has a dog that barks at us when we are out in the run. I noticed Annie barking back, hair standing up and all. She would come over to the run and check the chicks and then back to the fence to bark at the other dog before returning to check the chicks again. This exchange continued until I finally let her into the run and she maintained a protective stance against the nonexistent threat. It is nice to know she wants to protect them. My chicks are 7 weeks old and I hope they co time the amiable relationship.
20170802_195716.jpg 20170714_082726.jpg 20170803_174107.jpg

Does anyone have experience with free ranging chickens, but also happen to be the owner of a large breed dog? I recently moved to the country and wife wanted a GSD for while I'm away ( military) and such. She is only 4 months and my chickens are about 6 weeks. Trying to figure out how to keep her from chasing them, and it is not easy. So far I've been trying to keep her penned or on the other side of the house if chicks are out. Yesterday she discovered them and had a field day. She did not actually get one in her mouth or anything, I think she just wants to play but when they are old enough to lay, heard that they should not be stressed like that or they will lay before egg is ready? Any advice appreciated
Hi Mickey67. I have over 300 chickens, ducks, guineas, turkeys, quail, rescue cats and peacocks all living together on a rescue sanctuary farm that is solely protected by me and 4 LARGE BREED DOGS. All these fowl free range during the day and return to roost in trees or barns at night. My dogs are : Great Pyrenees and AckBash (Great Guardian dogs. Sometimes too great. When chasing predators, they forget their boundaries. #2 Australian Cattle Dog (Folks around here call them heelers). At night he puts everyone in the barns while I stand back and watch. Warning though, much like a GSD he is a one-owner dog. will bite. And Last, our Mastiff, Our property is fenced and our mastiff mix is convinced that the gate is hers. Now, as to the animals. Not one dog has ever hurt a bird. We introduce EVERY bird (and with 300 thats a job) just like we would a new puppy. Our dogs have become so protective of our sanctuary that when wild turkeys, deer, ducks or quail, enter the fence lines, the dogs run them off.

Back
Top Bottom